Custom Build On The Small Side

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

JDB
Pilgrim

Custom Build On The Small Side

Postby JDB » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:29 am

Hi everyone, new to the forum. I've been smoking for a few years on crappy smokers....time for a change! I am shopping for and offset smoker but I really want one on the smaller side, and can't seem to find one.
I usually only do 1 shoulder, brisket or a few racks of ribs at a time. At the most, I only need a smoker that has a cooking area of 24" width or less.
Is this possible (heat distribution wise, or anything else) on a custom build?

Another question, where can I find a steel pipe for the body of the smoker?

Thanks!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Custom Build On The Small Side

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:35 am

Howdy and Welcome to the Forum - - - I'm sure you'll get all the answers to your questions so give the Members time to drop in and see your post. :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:48 pm

24 in pipe is a perfect size. I can tell you this, what ever length you think you can get by with, double it. You will thank me later. If KAM see’s this he will point in the absolute right direction.
JDB
Pilgrim

Postby JDB » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:47 pm

Thanks, why do you say double the length?
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:49 pm

Welcome to the forum.
The smallest "Back yard cooker" I would recommend is a 24" x 48" this diameter and length will allow you enough area for small or larger cooks. The length and diameter allow you to maintain more consistent temps over the entire grate area.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:52 pm

Because when you build just what you think will meet your needs, your needs will change over time. So if you build it larger than what you think your actual needs are, 1, you will be able to a accomodate a bigger cook if the occasion calls for it, and 2, it doesn’t really take any more fuel to fire a small pit like that. Better to have the extra space and not use it, than to need it and not have it. Trust me on that. Once you build it, they will come.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:04 pm

GRailsback wrote:Because when you build just what you think will meet your needs, your needs will change over time. So if you build it larger than what you think your actual needs are, 1, you will be able to a accomodate a bigger cook if the occasion calls for it, and 2, it doesn’t really take any more fuel to fire a small pit like that. Better to have the extra space and not use it, than to need it and not have it. Trust me on that. Once you build it, they will come.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Very true.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
JDB
Pilgrim

Postby JDB » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:24 pm

Got it, thanks!
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:28 pm

Good luck to you if you decide to build. KAM is a resident expert on that, and always very generous with his knowledge. And if you decide to purchase one, do your research and get a quality one that will last forever.
JDB
Pilgrim

Postby JDB » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:52 pm

Thanks, the reason I wanted a smaller one is so I can store it in my shed, that will defiantly help in lasting longer. I live in a townhouse so smaller is better around here.

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”