Added Pellet Pro to grill

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

peterb123 USER_AVATAR
PeterB123
Pilgrim

Added Pellet Pro to grill

Postby PeterB123 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:41 am

My brother gave me his grill he built. I'm not sure what gauge of steel he used, but I swear this thing is 300 lbs plus, lol.

I purchased the Pellet Pro hopper assembly with the 18" auger. With the 18" auger, the pellet burn chamber is almost centered. After looking at photos of heat deflector plates, I decided to go relatively narrow, but if it looks like it needs to be larger, I'll change brackets and go with a larger plate. My thought process is to put in about 4 temperature probes (for testing) to make sure the heat doesn't vary too much within the pit.

I've also decided to just use aluminum pans in the bottom for grease drippings instead of channeling it to a drain. I have the auger just high enough to be able to place a tray under it.

I'll line the bottom with foil and do a foil wrap around the auger box as well just to try to keep it easy to clean. I don't mind paying for a few foil trays and wrap. I might change my mind after a few cooks.

Although the Pellet Pro has a pit probe and meat probe, I'm probably going to get the SmokeBlog wi-fi thermometer to monitor the pit and meats remotely.

I still have to sand and repaint it, but it's basically ready to go. Once I get it cleaned up more, painted and I do my first cook with it, I'll post more pics and results.

I'm sure it will take me a while to figure out the way it cooks and probably have to make some modifications, but even that provides some fun.

Oh, I've ordered a pellet smoke tube in order to make sure I have plenty of smoke for briskets (briskets are the primary goal of this pit).

My original plan was to convert this to an offset pit and put on a guru, but after cooking with a couple of different friends on their Traegers, I decided that I'd rather be a little bit lazy. If I decide I just don't like pellet, I can still change it to offset by putting box in place of the pellet assembly.

Here are a couple of quick pics, if I can figure out how to add them. That bracket on the shelf is coming off.

AtShaunsWholePitSM.jpg
AtShaunsWholePitSM.jpg (152.57 KiB) Viewed 3760 times

AtShaunsWholePitSM.jpg
AtShaunsWholePitSM.jpg (152.57 KiB) Viewed 3760 times
Attachments
DeflectorShaunsSM.jpg
DeflectorShaunsSM.jpg (154.07 KiB) Viewed 3760 times
Last edited by PeterB123 on Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
peterb123 USER_AVATAR
PeterB123
Pilgrim

Re: Added Pellet Pro to grill

Postby PeterB123 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:43 am

Hmmm, not sure why the first photo duplicated.

BTW, the wheels are only temp for moving it around. Once placed, wheels come off.
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:00 pm

Gonna make some suggestions now that I see pix.
You might want to rethink the grease drain thing. My original 1997 Traeger (it still works) did not have a grease drain but pans up on top to catch, it was a mess and had a few grease fires. The last thing you want to do after smoking a brisket is to clean out the bottom of the pit. Actually you don't want to do it b4 you can put the next meal on either......OK let's be real we don't like doing clean out at all so let's make it as easy as possible.

As for the heat deflector you definitely want bigger, someplace on the forum I have a mod for putting a cast iron griddle in a pellet cooker to spread the heat & help eliminate the hot spot and also to retain heat to even out the high/low cycle.
Basically mount the griddle above the firebox to spread the heat out towards the edges.

If you see some of my other advice posts on the forum you will see I am not a fan of add-on smoke tubes/boxes because properly set the controller will provide sufficient smoke flavor. Some folks equate the lack of a heavy bark (which you will not get on a pellet pit) to lack of smoke.
I do have and use smoke devices but only for cold smoking cheese and such.
tarde venientibus ossa....
peterb123 USER_AVATAR
PeterB123
Pilgrim

Postby PeterB123 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:43 pm

Papa Tom wrote:Gonna make some suggestions now that I see pix.
You might want to rethink the grease drain thing. My original 1997 Traeger (it still works) did not have a grease drain but pans up on top to catch, it was a mess and had a few grease fires. The last thing you want to do after smoking a brisket is to clean out the bottom of the pit. Actually you don't want to do it b4 you can put the next meal on either......OK let's be real we don't like doing clean out at all so let's make it as easy as possible.

As for the heat deflector you definitely want bigger, someplace on the forum I have a mod for putting a cast iron griddle in a pellet cooker to spread the heat & help eliminate the hot spot and also to retain heat to even out the high/low cycle.
Basically mount the griddle above the firebox to spread the heat out towards the edges.

If you see some of my other advice posts on the forum you will see I am not a fan of add-on smoke tubes/boxes because properly set the controller will provide sufficient smoke flavor. Some folks equate the lack of a heavy bark (which you will not get on a pellet pit) to lack of smoke.
I do have and use smoke devices but only for cold smoking cheese and such.

Thank you very much for this advise.

Using a cast iron griddle is a great idea. I'll definitely make that change.

I'll try a few cooks without the pellet tube to see how it works out. I just made the assumption because I've read it so many times about pellet smokers - which is probably just based off of a false premise.

I'll also reconsider going to a grease drain after I use it for a while.

Thank you again for the input.
peterb123 USER_AVATAR
PeterB123
Pilgrim

Postby PeterB123 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:58 pm

Just purchased the Lodge 10 x 10 cast iron griddle. I'll just place that directly on the deflector plate I have there. Since the Lodge is just 8 pounds, it should hold it without issue.
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:25 pm

:happ:
peterb123 USER_AVATAR
PeterB123
Pilgrim

Postby PeterB123 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:35 pm

Rambo wrote::happ:

Why the popcorn?

Do pellet setups that involve brisket lead to heated offset vs pellet debates?
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:56 pm

PeterB123 wrote:

Why the popcorn?

No; just a great topic
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:36 am

Very nice. Once you get it lined out you should have a great setup. :salut: :salut: :salut:
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
peterb123 USER_AVATAR
PeterB123
Pilgrim

Postby PeterB123 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:18 am

Rambo wrote:
PeterB123 wrote:

Why the popcorn?

No; just a great topic

Gotcha.

Forums have their different eccentricities, so I wasn't sure.
peterb123 USER_AVATAR
PeterB123
Pilgrim

Postby PeterB123 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:19 am

k.a.m. wrote:Very nice. Once you get it lined out you should have a great setup. :salut: :salut: :salut:

Thank you, and if you have any suggestions, please make them.

I'm here to learn.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:55 am

PeterB123 wrote:
k.a.m. wrote:Very nice. Once you get it lined out you should have a great setup. :salut: :salut: :salut:

Thank you, and if you have any suggestions, please make them.

I'm here to learn.

I wish I could but I am not really up on pellet cookers and their functions.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:50 am

following this,
the pop corn is a nice way for saying or indicating the same thing...
I do that a lot, rather than typing an insertion, just hit the popcorn button, there are a lot of us that will read a thread and just "check in"
once you do the heat defuser dont forget you can do a biscuit test to check for the hot spots that way you know where to place your meats :salut:
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
peterb123 USER_AVATAR
PeterB123
Pilgrim

Postby PeterB123 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:27 pm

spacetrucker wrote:following this,
the pop corn is a nice way for saying or indicating the same thing...
I do that a lot, rather than typing an insertion, just hit the popcorn button, there are a lot of us that will read a thread and just "check in"
once you do the heat defuser dont forget you can do a biscuit test to check for the hot spots that way you know where to place your meats :salut:

Thank you for mentioning the biscuit test.

I had never heard of it or thought of it until I saw it on another thread on this forum.

What a great way to see the heat difference without having to use a bunch of probes.

I'll definitely be giving that a try to see where my variations are and how much the variations are.

Do most people just use it to figure out meat placement, or do people make custom diffusion plates to try to even the heat?
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:02 pm

biscuits used to be $.07 a can but now a days I cut them is 1/4 the effects are still the same after about 15 minutes and they tell the tale...(I sure do feel old)
I would say once the plates are set or you know where the hot spots are then you know where to place the meat for more or less doneness...
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”