New forum member and new smoker build. A few questions?

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Ken226
Pilgrim

Re: New forum member and new smoker build. A few questions?

Postby Ken226 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:41 am

KAM:

Thanks for the advise. Ill try each of those suggestions as soon as i get back home. Im out of town currently due to work.

With my intakes set to give me about 275° on the top grate, and 225° on the lower grates, my reverse flow plate measures about 350° on the firebox side and about 340° on the opposite end. What do you think should be ideal?

What are your thoughts on the chimney? Currently it only extends into the cook chamber about 3.75 inches. I beleive it may be drawing the hottest smoke from the top of the cook chamber, not allowing the hotter smoker to fill the cook chamber from the top down.

Since my temps are very even left to right, but uneven top to bottom, i suspect that as the hot smoke fills the cook chamber, floating up to the top, in then exits into the chimney and is evacuated.
Basically, creating a river of fresh hot smoke that flows from the reverse flow chamber, up to the top of the cook chamber, then across to the chimney exit, allowing cooler smoke to remain in the lower portion of the cook chamber with only radiant energy from the reverse flow plate to heat it.

I was thinking that extending the chimney down to near the lower grate would allow the chimney to draw the cooler smoke from the bottom. The hot smoke at the top of the chamber wouldnt have anywhere to go and would contunue to fill the cook chamber, pushing the cooler smoke lower untill it enters the chimney, at grate level. Im hoping that will even out the temperature?

Everything works fine except the temperature difference between the upper and lower grates.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:43 pm

It would be easy enough to test the exhaust theory. You could build a box to slip fit over your current box. Drill a 7/16" hole on the upper edge and tack a 3/8" nut to it then use a 3/8" bolt to lock down the exhaust.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
Ken226
Pilgrim

Postby Ken226 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:21 pm

Thats what i was thinking as well. Something temporary to test before doing alot of fabrication.

The location of the chimney relative to the upper grate and its associated slider/rail makes ot a challenge. Im sure i can find a way though.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:17 pm

Ken226 wrote:Thats what i was thinking as well. Something temporary to test before doing alot of fabrication.

The location of the chimney relative to the upper grate and its associated slider/rail makes ot a challenge. Im sure i can find a way though.

Remove the upper grate and use a piece of expanded metal with temporary legs to mimic grate height to place your therm probes on. This way you can lower the exhaust without cutting anything loose. If the upper rail is in the way offset the extension to miss it.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
Ken226
Pilgrim

Postby Ken226 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:48 pm

Yes sir, That is what I'm going to do. I'm still stuck in El Paso for a couple weeks for work, but ill be testing this theory asap.

Thank you for the help, it is greatly appreciated!
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:19 pm

You are very welcome Sir.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
Ken226
Pilgrim

Postby Ken226 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:29 pm

I wanted to post an update and a few pics, since i finally got my chimney extension finished, and did a test run.

So, i think my theory as to the reason for such a big temp variation between the upper and lower grates were confirmed. The temps are much more even now and Its easier to hold a specific temp.

An unanticipated change, that im pretty happy with, is that it holds a higher cook chamber temp for a given fire size. The same size fire and air settings that before the chimney change, was getting me 225 on the upper grate, is now getting me 260°.

I ended up extending the chimey down to 2" above the lower grate. To make it work, i cut 8" off the right side of the upper grate and fabricated a new slider rail.

Im really happy with the way its working now. It maintains temperature with less work, smaller fire, and uses less wood.

Thanks for the help guys.

Right side and center both at 250°, left side at 230.

Imagetcf bank branch locations
Ken226
Pilgrim

Postby Ken226 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:53 pm

And, i managed to do the welding without screwing up the paint. Im pretty happy about that.

Since i got it running already, im going to throw on my last package of Johnsonville seasonal Hatch Green Chile sausages.

5 sausages in a 330 gallon smoker sure is a waste of space.

k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:32 am

Glad you got her figured out. :cheers: :salut: :salut: :salut:

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
Ken226
Pilgrim

Postby Ken226 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:30 am

I'm very happy with the way it runs. It was ver easy to keep it at the temp i was aiming for. It was fairly hands off.

I just came back out to add a stick of wood ever half hour. It was surprising how small a fire was needed to keep it at 250.

The draft was good, heat was even. Overall, it ended up being a great smoker. A releif after all the time and money spent.
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:34 pm

That is some pretty cool blue smoke coming out of it for sure. I have an insulated fire box on mine and it is hard to believe how small the coal base and fire is when running at 250 or so.
Ken226
Pilgrim

Postby Ken226 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:18 am

Yesterday i finally got around to wiring the tail lights and clearance marking lights. I also towed it down to the local gravel pit and got the weight certificate so i can schedule the "homemade trailer" vin inspection, for the title and registration from WA motor vehicles.

All im lacking now is a set of safety chains.

The weight came in at 2980 lbs. Only 20lbs shy of the cutoff for requiring trailer brakes. On the 8 mile trip to the gravel pit, i stopped for gas and had 6 people walk up and ask "what the heck is that thing?". :) one guy said it looks like the mars rover.
dabertl USER_AVATAR
daBertl
Bandolero

Postby daBertl » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:36 pm

Holy Crab, I would like to buy something like this.
When I come again to the US, please offer me something like this :cheers: :salut:
Extra Bavaria non est vita, et si est vita, non est ita.
pinoypitmaster USER_AVATAR
PinoyPitmaster
Cowboy

Postby PinoyPitmaster » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:22 pm

Beautiful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:53 am

That thing is a beast, man has some obvious welding skills. Was glad to see the twin axles.

Time to hit the competition circuit.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”