Bought a trailer mount that needs some TLC

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Bought a trailer mount that needs some TLC

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon May 06, 2019 4:05 pm

It's been a long time since I've messed with any but Home Depot, Tractor Supply and ETC should have what you need and the Pot instructions will probably give you more information as far as what size grit it will handle. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/produ ... -abrasives
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
Nevahascards
Pilgrim

Postby Nevahascards » Mon May 06, 2019 4:08 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:It's been a long time since I've messed with any but Home Depot, Tractor Supply and ETC should have what you need and the Pot instructions will probably give you more information as far as what size grit it will handle. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/produ ... -abrasives
Beautiful! Got a TSC about 2 miles from the house. I'm going to keep updating here as I go along for more tips! Thanks everyone!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon May 06, 2019 4:15 pm

Goggles and LONG SLEEVE Shirts are highly recommended - Good Luck :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Postby txsmkmstr » Mon May 06, 2019 4:16 pm

I'll be the wet blanket with regards to home sandblasting projects. First of, you'll need a decent compressor - check the CFM rating of the blast gun vs. what your compressor will deliver and get back to us. OK, so you "might" have a compressor that will do the job on an intermittent basis due to cycle times but how dry is your air. You'll need additional moisture filters else your blast gun will clog up with wet media. Let's not forget face shield, eye protection, breathing protection, leather outfit, etc. There's a reason you got the quote you got and why it seems high. I only speak from experience using Harbor Freight blast units and dry sand from my backyard. Worked ok for the first foot or so then I discovered even my really good compressor set-up (Ingersoll-Rand 60 gallon with filters) would gum up the works.

I suggest you knock the loose stuff off with an angle grinder using a cup wheel and/or a knotted wire wheel. Don't bother to make it shiny - just a little smoother surface for the paint. Even then, wear eye, ear, nose and throat (dust) protection because you're gonna be there a while. Good Luck to you.
Custom LSG 24x40 - 36" Blackstone - (others - R & O FatGirl, ETSC RK-250, Tejas 1628 - all sold)
lubbockguy1979
Wrangler

Postby lubbockguy1979 » Mon May 06, 2019 4:20 pm

Another option would be a acid type solution but.... there are alot of precautions with something like that especially that size. Keep in mind a grinder at hazard fraught is around 20 bucks and would likely live thru that job. But the consumables like flap discs might end up costing alot to complte the job. Using something like wd40 pb blaster etc on the out side might potentially speed it up bust there will be a mess. Id bet you could burn that off after getting it some what cleaned up

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Postby limey » Mon May 06, 2019 4:28 pm

Electric sander or wire brush it.paint the outside with high heat paint and season the inside and you will have a nice looking pit.
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Tue May 07, 2019 1:19 pm

That is an old fuel oil drum they are super thin. Blasting would be a mistake because of the pressure applied to the thin metal. I would get a wire cup wheel for a 4" grinder and clean it up as best I could then paint it with Rustoleum BBQ black paint.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
Nevahascards
Pilgrim

Postby Nevahascards » Thu May 09, 2019 11:28 am

Thanks for all the advice!

I've decided on the angle grinder and wire wheel brushes and I have a small sand blaster pot for some areas.

Will post pics of progress soon!
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Thu May 09, 2019 12:35 pm

I highly encourage you to listen to KAM; he's an expert at this.
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Thu May 09, 2019 12:41 pm

Rambo has just given you the best advice to date.

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”