So 3/16" 1/4" or 3/8" Fire box?

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

copasspupil USER_AVATAR
Copasspupil
Outlaw

Re: So 3/16" 1/4" or 3/8" Fire box?

Postby Copasspupil » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:26 pm

Propane tanks ago don’t flex as much as water pipe of the same thickness. I chose a thicker material primarily from KAMS advice along with thinking in Washington state it would be colder when I bbq’d vs in the southern states. I’ve never had an issue with my 1/4” firebox but did for my chamber when it came to welding it up. It was just a little bit however. Not enough to bother or delay my smoking at least.
Danno

'66 GT350S clone
Custom built smoker named Seal Team
Santa Maria Grill names GrumpyD'sBBQ
Weber stainless gas grill when I want to cook a hotdog
lubbockguy1979
Wrangler

Re: So 3/16" 1/4" or 3/8" Fire box?

Postby lubbockguy1979 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:17 pm

So, whould it be practical to use 3/16 for the firebox then insulate it? What would you use for insulation? Im about to be building a fire box and haven't bought material to do so. I was considering 3/16. Then adding angle iron as a way tmo hold insulation assuming i could get sheets. Then skin it with 1/8 or lighter metal. The fire box door like wouldnt be insulated. My cooker is 31" dia and roughly 4ft

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Re: So 3/16

Postby k.a.m. » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:17 am

lubbockguy1979 wrote:So, whould it be practical to use 3/16 for the firebox then insulate it? What would you use for insulation? Im about to be building a fire box and haven't bought material to do so. I was considering 3/16. Then adding angle iron as a way tmo hold insulation assuming i could get sheets. Then skin it with 1/8 or lighter metal. The fire box door like wouldnt be insulated. My cooker is 31" dia and roughly 4ft

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I would use 1/4" for the interior box and skin with 1/8". The reason being longevity of the interior.
You can buy 2" insulation from McMaster Carr.
https://www.mcmaster.com/9356k13
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”