Pop-Up Camper Trailer

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Coach Cherry
Pilgrim

Pop-Up Camper Trailer

Postby Coach Cherry » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:05 am

Hello!

I am new to this forum but have enjoyed at the pictures and post of the smokers that y'all have built! My question here is that my Dad and I are starting a new Smoker build. We have a 120 Gallon Propane Tank that we are going to make into a nice Reverse Flow Smoker. We are wanting to mount this on a small trailer. We have an old Coleman Pop-Up Camper in the Pasture. Does anyone have any experience on tearing down a pop-up camper to use the trailer underneath??? How hard is it? Is it Strong enough?

Thanks!
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Re: Pop-Up Camper Trailer

Postby Rambo » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:14 am

I would try to see what the axle limits are but I’m going to guess they would be sufficient for that application. I am however, no expert or even a fabricator of any standard
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:15 am

You might try to PM a member here named KAM
Coach Cherry
Pilgrim

Postby Coach Cherry » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:33 am

OK Thanks! I will look him up!
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:41 am

Even if it's the single axle, that should be sufficient. I'm pretty sure the propane smoker wouldn't exceed the rating limit of the axle on that p'up. Teardown is the fun part! Just start removing pieces until you can't, then cut them off. Lol! Mind your framing, take your time and it should be a smooth endeavor! :cheers:
(Insert witty signature here)
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:52 am

There's a guy down the road here that has 3 empty boat trailers in his front yard; I've thought those could have framing/ expanded metal flooring added to make a pull behind smoker.

He's one of those people that likes to show his stuff off: he also has tractors/bush hogs/discs/ lawn mowers/ cattle trailer/various concrete bird baths & yard art, and best of all, a Bicycle in a tree
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:54 am

$0.02 from a total Novice - - - - I would not use the running gear from a pop-up camper for something that heavy - - more than likely the tires are too small also :?: :dont: :scratch: :roll:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:55 am

OldUsedParts wrote:$0.02 from a total Novice - - - - I would not use the running gear from a pop-up camper for something that heavy - - more than likely the tires are too small also :?: :dont: :scratch: :roll:

That's what an Old Grlfriend said about me :dont:
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:24 am

Should'a got a young girlfriend :P ;) :laughing7:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:02 pm

Rambo wrote:There's a guy down the road here that has 3 empty boat trailers in his front yard; I've thought those could have framing/ expanded metal flooring added to make a pull behind smoker.

He's one of those people that likes to show his stuff off: he also has tractors/bush hogs/discs/ lawn mowers/ cattle trailer/various concrete bird baths & yard art, and best of all, a Bicycle in a tree

I'd pay a quarter see a picture of that if you think of it next time driving by. My son is at Purdue; they have this tradition that they seem to find funny (?) of tossing any unlocked bike up into a tree. I thought it was a myth until we toured the campus and lo and behold, the campus was rife with bicycle trees, some of which looked like rusty old Schwinns from the by-gones.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:06 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Should'a got a young girlfriend :P ;) :laughing7:

I did, she liked my tires
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:41 pm

:bow: :whiteflag:
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:34 am

Boots wrote:
Rambo wrote:There's a guy down the road here that has 3 empty boat trailers in his front yard; I've thought those could have framing/ expanded metal flooring added to make a pull behind smoker.

I'd pay a quarter see a picture of that if you think of it next time driving by. My son is at Purdue; they have this tradition that they seem to find funny (?) of tossing any unlocked bike up into a tree. I thought it was a myth until we toured the campus and lo and behold, the campus was rife with bicycle trees, some of which looked like rusty old Schwinns from the by-gones.

Here/ya go my Aggie Friend
Attachments
IMG_1841[6868].JPG
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:40 am

In East Texas I think we used to call that "Bubba's Backyard" :whiteflag: :roll: :laughing7: :lol: :D
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:50 am

OldUsedParts wrote:In East Texas I think we used to call that "Bubba's Backyard" :whiteflag: :roll: :laughing7: :lol: :D

It's the Front Yard and that's the " clean" part. Thank goodness he's a couple of miles down the road from us. One of the perils of Country Living, their are no Property Restrictions

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”