Building my 500 gallon propane tank smoker

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Mainelytxs
Pilgrim

Re: Building my 500 gallon propane tank smoker

Postby Mainelytxs » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:48 pm

Thanks for the input K.A.M.! So I'm gonna cook on it for a while and play around with it. Like I said, pretty even for no tuning plates, even top to bottom. Just the middle top seems to run consistently about 40 degrees hotter, just seemed a little odd that one spot with everything else holding within about 10 degrees. Maybe it's the gauge? Anyways, I'm pretty over the top right now with it. Thanks again guys! :texas:
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:52 pm

Would the fact that Heat Rises, have anything to do with that ???
Just asking because I certainly don't know :whiteflag:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
strength_and_pow
Cowboy

Postby strength_and_pow » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:19 pm

The biscuit test will give you a visual confirmation of where you think the hot spots are.
Grab a tube or a few tubes of the ready made biscuits from the store. Place them evenly throughout the smoker and let them cook. I’d make boxes on a paper towel with a marker and put the finished biscuits in the corresponding box. You could make some intake and exhaust adjustments as K.A.M. Suggested and rerun the test. I don’t know what would be an adequate amount of time to let the smoker settle in to the adjustments, 30-45minutes?
This was my biscuit test. Bonus, you get hot biscuits out of the deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:49 am

strength_and_pow wrote:The biscuit test will give you a visual confirmation of where you think the hot spots are.
Grab a tube or a few tubes of the ready made biscuits from the store. Place them evenly throughout the smoker and let them cook. I’d make boxes on a paper towel with a marker and put the finished biscuits in the corresponding box. You could make some intake and exhaust adjustments as K.A.M. Suggested and rerun the test. I don’t know what would be an adequate amount of time to let the smoker settle in to the adjustments, 30-45minutes?
This was my biscuit test. Bonus, you get hot biscuits out of the deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those biscuits need gravy. :D
When testing intake settings I try to go at least an hour on offsets this allows for reloading of wood and fluctuations that may happen.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”