Building my 500 gallon propane tank smoker

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Re: Building my 500 gallon propane tank smoker

Postby GRailsback » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:15 pm

Nice work. You may want to consider to re-position the door handles closer to where they are welded to the door, then install a 12 inch table the length of the pit to set stuff on, pans and what not. Like this one on my pit. That is a carbon steel table with a stainless cover riveted to it. It is extremely handy to have. Just a suggestion.

IMG_0854.JPG
Mainelytxs
Pilgrim

Postby Mainelytxs » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:04 pm

Thanks for the tip GRailsback! You probably cant see it in the pic, but there is a a table laying on the trailer that still needs to be attached. I agree the handles are probably longer than "aesthetically pleasing" and it will place the table a lil lower than normal, but it all felt right as I was laying it out and it works practically for me. Another question. Why do my pics load sideways when I post. I see when I click on them they load the right way, but I cant figure out how to turn them. Thanks again! And by the way, that's a stellar looking rig you got there! :texas:
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:43 am

They say the reason the pics load sideways is due to them being to large. If they are reduced in size a little bit then they load properly. Don't ask me how to do that, if you do I will have to send you to sooner. He pays for an app that reads the post for him. I am a simple man.

If those dimensions fit you then that is the way it needs to be. I will say, that the way mine is set up, you are not able to open the doors with anything significant in size directly in front of them. And you are not able to pull out the lower rack with anything in front of it. With yours being lower your lower rack may clear what is on your table. Nice build you have going there.
Mainelytxs
Pilgrim

Postby Mainelytxs » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:24 pm

fixpic.jpg.jpg
I'm getting pretty excited to burn this CC out and season this thing up! :texas:
Attachments
IMG952169.jpg
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:02 pm

It was 3.28 MG and now it's 270 KB :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
Mainelytxs
Pilgrim

Postby Mainelytxs » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:49 pm

That's awesome OldUsedParts! Any tips on how to resize pics in the future before I post? :texas:
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:36 am

That’s going to be a fine machine you have there.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:01 am

Mainelytxs wrote:That's awesome OldUsedParts! Any tips on how to resize pics in the future before I post? :texas:

Don't know much about what you are using but I just copied YOUR pic to my Computer and Edited it down to 25% of original size. then I just replaced your Original Pic on your Post with the reduced one. :dont:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
Mainelytxs
Pilgrim

Postby Mainelytxs » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:00 am

I use my Samsung phone about 98% of the time to check and post in here......BUT......your paygrade is obviously way above mine! :laughing7: I appreciate what you did for me!

So the next step in my build is putting the damper on my stack. I have a.pretty good idea of what I'm looking to do but does anyone have some pics of how they have rigged theirs? Also, a few post back I asked if anyone has tried using a wind directional cap on their stack to prevent rain, snow, or downdrafts from gusty winds. If there is any experience out on this I'd love to hear about it! :texas:
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:03 am

Mainelytxs wrote:That's awesome OldUsedParts! Any tips on how to resize pics in the future before I post? :texas:
When I need to resize pics I use Irfanview. Just set the size you want in the custom area and batch the photo.
Once you get used to using it it is easy.
https://www.irfanview.com/
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:20 am

Mainelytxs wrote:I use my Samsung phone about 98% of the time to check and post in here......BUT......your paygrade is obviously way above mine! :laughing7: I appreciate what you did for me!
Glad I could help you - - - you'll get it figgered out eventually and KAMs Suggestion below might just be the ticket for you.
?Paygrade you say :?: :laughing7: :lol: :D mine is uphill at about a 90% grade most of the time - - - I do this because Gator Asked me to
:bow:

THANKS KAM - - - I used to use a Picture Hosting Site and it was great but now I just use my Desktop to host them.

k.a.m. wrote:
When I need to resize pics I use Irfanview. Just set the size you want in the custom area and batch the photo.
Once you get used to using it it is easy.
https://www.irfanview.com/
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:40 am

My dampener is built into the stacks with a flapper. Then there are some covers over the stacks themselves. I am about to head down to the cook off in a little bit I’ll send a couple of pics.
Mainelytxs
Pilgrim

Postby Mainelytxs » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:13 am

K.A.M., Old, Grails.....thanks again!
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:04 am

Mainelytxs wrote:I use my Samsung phone about 98% of the time to check and post in here......BUT......your paygrade is obviously way above mine! :laughing7: I appreciate what you did for me!

So the next step in my build is putting the damper on my stack. I have a.pretty good idea of what I'm looking to do but does anyone have some pics of how they have rigged theirs? Also, a few post back I asked if anyone has tried using a wind directional cap on their stack to prevent rain, snow, or downdrafts from gusty winds. If there is any experience out on this I'd love to hear about it! :texas:

I have a drop down cap on Little Mama for when I am not cooking and traveling. Since my exhaust is close to my roof I built a portable exhaust cap to deflect the heat/smoke.
IMG_4337.JPG

IMG_5716.JPG
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
Mainelytxs
Pilgrim

Postby Mainelytxs » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:24 pm

K.A.M. Im thinking I will have to make something myself, too. I've found some wind directional chimney caps that have given me some good ideas to work off of. :texas:

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”