New design possibility

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Jfrank84
Pilgrim

New design possibility

Postby Jfrank84 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:01 am

Hello,
I have a TIG welder and would like to design a new pit. I cannot find much information on what I’m looking for with searches so I’m hoping you guys could help.

I’d like to build a stainless smoker with a separate box for coal and wood that I’d also like to use as a direct charcoal option if wanted. In addition, i’d like to have another small section for gas grilling in a separate compartment.

I’m no engineer at all. I can weld anything stainless, just don’t have the design mindset.

Is this a possible combination that wouldn’t be absolutely enormous? In my head, I’d like it to roll on castor wheels and not need a trailer. I’d also like to keep it under $3000 if possible.

Please let me know if this is possible. A huge bonus would be if anyone would like to design it for me!!

Thanks!
John
Damon54
Cowboy

Re: New design possibility

Postby Damon54 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:52 am

Where are you located John?
I love the way that Stainless looks but might I suggest that the better use of your stainless welding skills would be in making the grates for the interior.
Jfrank84
Pilgrim

Postby Jfrank84 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:25 am

I am located in Friendswood.

I currently have one of the Lowe’s combo gas, charcoal, and smoker box combo and I’ve had it since May 2011. It’s been great but starting to rust out a bit.

I love the idea of making one of my own since I grill numerous times a month and charcoal and smoke mesquite about 5 times a year now.

What are you thinking?

John
Damon54
Cowboy

Postby Damon54 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:28 am

Have you gotten as far as deciding your preference between a traditional Offset style or is a Vertical/Cabinet style more to your liking?
Jfrank84
Pilgrim

Postby Jfrank84 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:08 am

I have not gotten that far. I’ve never used a vertical one before, so I can’t make that judgment. I just know what I am accustomed to with the traditional style.
Damon54
Cowboy

Postby Damon54 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:17 pm

There are dedicated sites that sell plans for DIY Pit Builders.
All styles available. Quite a few these days are insulated designs and it seems to me that this would make the cost of Stainless construction fairly painful.

Common place now to have moving charcoal trays that can be placed below existing grate layouts in either an offset or vertical to allow direct grilling. Works just fine but does in most cases reduce cooking area.
Jfrank84
Pilgrim

Postby Jfrank84 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:57 pm

Would you mind posting a few websites you have come across? I’ve only seen Pinterest stuff but no plans beyond brick grills and whatnot.

Thank you
Damon54
Cowboy

Postby Damon54 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:03 pm

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”