500 gallon offset is complete but have questions

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Re: 500 gallon offset is complete but have questions

Postby Chasdev » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:33 am

Uppers would also get more smoke as all the smoke would have to travel at grate (and above) before exiting.
For me, if Franklin designs and builds his propane tank smokers like the ones in the pictures, that would be proof positive.
He's not God, but he does alright smoked meat wise.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:01 am

Before I would recommend changing anything I would want to know about your fire management. Typically excessive ash in the chamber is poor fire and pushing ash on un-burned wood. You have a large cooker that will require a huge warm up and big coal base. The exhaust placement is not your problem in my opinion. All my cookers are built with upper exhausts and I only have had an ash problem when over stoaking and trying to super heat her.
Pre heating your chamber will help then start with lump or charcoal along with some splits to create a good coal base.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
Theroadwarrior
Pilgrim

Postby Theroadwarrior » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:55 am

k.a.m. wrote:Before I would recommend changing anything I would want to know about your fire management. Typically excessive ash in the chamber is poor fire and pushing ash on un-burned wood. You have a large cooker that will require a huge warm up and big coal base. The exhaust placement is not your problem in my opinion. All my cookers are built with upper exhausts and I only have had an ash problem when over stoaking and trying to super heat her.
Pre heating your chamber will help then start with lump or charcoal along with some splits to create a good coal base.

I have a 24x24 basket that I put lump charcoal in thats lit through a weber chimney starter. I then go to sticks of hickory or cherry or oak. I get it when I place wood on it it will stir up a bit of ash but it seems to be drafting into the cook chamber. I thought about putting a 6'' baffle over the cc/firebox opening to catch some of the ash. K.A.M i sent you a PM before i realized you replied to my thread
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:53 am

Can you show me some pics of the inside of the firebox also in the cooking chamber at the firebox end?

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
Theroadwarrior
Pilgrim

Postby Theroadwarrior » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:58 pm

Here are some Photos, that expanded metal is just an attempt To Cut down ash.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/155798844 ... res/A85m6x
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:46 pm

It looks like your firebox intake is under your coal grate and not feeding above it. Have you tried a fire directly on the firebox floor? If not I would like to know what happens with that set up.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
dwilliams35
Pilgrim

Postby dwilliams35 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:21 am

Theroadwarrior wrote:Here are some Photos, that expanded metal is just an attempt To Cut down ash.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/155798844 ... res/A85m6x

KAM can probably confirm or deny this, but would putting that expanded metal there cut down your actual firebox to CC passage area to the point where you get your “numbers” out of whack? (As in Feldon numbers, or whatever else you use?). 1/2” #13 expanded metal only has like 60% open area..
Theroadwarrior
Pilgrim

Postby Theroadwarrior » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:39 pm

So I put a 12'' pinwheel vent in the door instead of dropping the grate. This seemed to cure my issues, the smoker temperatures seemed to balance out and I cooked 6 ribs, 1 brisket, 1 Boston butt, 2 tenderloins, 2 chuck roasts, they were all delicious. I will update with any other issues thanks for the help K.A.M
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:58 pm

Theroadwarrior wrote:So I put a 12'' pinwheel vent in the door instead of dropping the grate. This seemed to cure my issues, the smoker temperatures seemed to balance out and I cooked 6 ribs, 1 brisket, 1 Boston butt, 2 tenderloins, 2 chuck roasts, they were all delicious. I will update with any other issues thanks for the help K.A.M

Glad you got her working your way. You are very welcome. :D

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”