New build offset smoker

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Fabkid33
Wrangler

New build offset smoker

Postby Fabkid33 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:07 am

I'm new to the smoker world I'm looking at building a offset smoker with a insulated fire box . I have found a 24 inch round tank x 88 long siting on a trailer in phoenix that I'm looking at buying I run my own business doing welding and fabrication so making it is no big deal to me the question I have is the tank is almost 3/16 wall thickness and just making sure that it's thick enough I see most guys use 1/4 inch
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: New build offset smoker

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:19 pm

Even tho it's the same question, I'm Bumping this one to the Top and maybe someone will see at least one of them. :dont: :laughing7:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
pinoypitmaster USER_AVATAR
PinoyPitmaster
Cowboy

Postby PinoyPitmaster » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:08 pm

In my opinion, i would go much lighter gauge and at very least 1” spacing between double wall and if possible insulate the cook chamber. The cook chamber hardly rots and if it does it’s probably due to poor care. If your doing offset and attaching firebox to cook chamber you might want thicker side wall that welds to firebox. My experience is that despite metal thickness heat dissipation the same in wind and cold middle of night BBQ competition.

Right idea on double walled firebox. Thickness on firebox important for heat i would go lighter gauge in the outside skin. However if you do some nifty things with firebox you could go much lighter gauge.

I like Lighter weight on my pit. Easier to tote around. And double wall so Much more fuel efficient and maintains temps longer! So nice for overnight cooks !!

If you welder/fabricator why do such a simple build such as the lazy man pipe pit? Just gonna add ends, cut out doors, add some rails and 3/4 #9 for the grill tops, add smokestack, maybe add a baffle on firebox side. Come on! test those skills out and double wall everything and make it octagon shape with offset firebox center entry into cook chamber and build baffle plates to equalize temps across grill top! Just saying! :)
rms827 USER_AVATAR
rms827
Bandolero

Postby rms827 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:10 am

Good feedback. I'm trying to learn here myself. Not so much for a DIY build (I can't weld), but so I know what to look for if I ever make the jump from pellet grill to stick burner.

Completely unrelated here, but I've got a friend in Hawaii that's Filipino, and he's mentioned the BBQ techniques from the Philippines in passing a couple of times. Feel free to share there. Always looking to learn new tricks.
Rec Tec 680
Weber 22" Premium Kettle Grill in Green

"Nobody Beats Me in the Kitchen" - Casey Ryback (Steven Seagal - Under Siege 2)
Life's Too Short for Bad BBQ.
PinoyPitmaster
Cowboy

Postby PinoyPitmaster » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:08 pm

rms827 wrote:Good feedback. I'm trying to learn here myself. Not so much for a DIY build (I can't weld), but so I know what to look for if I ever make the jump from pellet grill to stick burner.

Completely unrelated here, but I've got a friend in Hawaii that's Filipino, and he's mentioned the BBQ techniques from the Philippines in passing a couple of times. Feel free to share there. Always looking to learn new tricks.

I can’t weld pretty either but i have a good grinder! :). I just built my own pit and i built some new technology into it. It’s a theory and i will be testing it over the next couple weeks. If it works i might say something about it. I dubbed my pit “The Coffin” and i built new technology that i call the Double Barrel Thermo Turbo and The BARKinator. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rms827 USER_AVATAR
rms827
Bandolero

Postby rms827 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:56 pm

Looking forward to seeing how it works out. :tup:
Rec Tec 680
Weber 22" Premium Kettle Grill in Green

"Nobody Beats Me in the Kitchen" - Casey Ryback (Steven Seagal - Under Siege 2)
Life's Too Short for Bad BBQ.
Fabkid33
Wrangler

Postby Fabkid33 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:43 pm

I didn't end up buying the pipe . Don't always have alot of time on my hands my shop is very busy also i have alot of othet side projects that is why I would use a pipe and save some time but I also have a very good and cheap fab shop near me that has a big press break that can do 1/4 inch plate on 10 feet maybe i will have him bend me a inner and outer octago and I can weld them together or maybe use flat strap and weld it all together myself should I use 1/4 plate inner and 1/8 plate outer and what are these plates I should run on the inside and would love some ideas on firebox .
Fabkid33
Wrangler

Postby Fabkid33 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:44 pm

Anyone else done a center entry firebox and building a baffle inside firebox would be very possible
PinoyPitmaster
Cowboy

New build offset smoker

Postby PinoyPitmaster » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:26 am

Fabkid33 wrote:I didn't end up buying the pipe . Don't always have alot of time on my hands my shop is very busy also i have alot of othet side projects that is why I would use a pipe and save some time but I also have a very good and cheap fab shop near me that has a big press break that can do 1/4 inch plate on 10 feet maybe i will have him bend me a inner and outer octago and I can weld them together or maybe use flat strap and weld it all together myself should I use 1/4 plate inner and 1/8 plate outer and what are these plates I should run on the inside and would love some ideas on firebox .

Disclaimer: i am a DIYer and no means a pro. I did however build a pit to my specifications with the aid of someone with experience.

I was joking on the octagon shape but after rereading your original post —since you own a weld business what better way to showcase your skills then with a unique And beautiful BBQ Pit smoker!! There are definitely some complexities with a double wall that could showcase your skill like the doors and firebox entry. Super excited for you! ( and me as I find this kind of thing super interesting)

With a double wall the paint scheme is endless and can really make it pop And unique! Maybe even use it as your business billboard! I can see it now “FabKid33 for all your welding needs...call 8675-309” :)

You have a press brake! Aww man that would have made my pit build so much easier and faster! Issue is i wasnt sure of what dimensions i wanted so i had to cut everything out. Now i know dimension And if ever build again would go press brake way.

For me i Place high value on a lighter pit for mobility, in my experience the cook chamber seldom rots (maybe others can validate/contest this statement) so you could go even lighter gauge especially if you go double wall. I used 14 gauge in my build for both walls mainly because ease of cutting. i cut everything in my garage with a skill saw and cutoff wheel ( felt sorry for the neighbors) my father in law 50+year exp as metal fabricator said it would definitely hold up and warned of some warping occurring during weld. I tried to skip weld to prevent warping but my welding was ugly and parts did warp.

I would use 1/8 inside box and 14gauge outside box if i built my pit again. I have a post titled “The Coffin” if you wanna see pics

If weight not an issue for you 1/4 inside plate would definitely make it a generational pass down heirloom. (I learned a lot from my father in law about metal). the outside wall is just a holder for insulation or if no insulation the space between walls would be insulation and would still prevent heat dissipation. I would go as light as you feel comfortable unless it is meant to stay outdoors to weather the elements.

Tidbit: My father in law built an 1/8 inch pit 30 years ago and it is still in great shape no holes but was in dryer West Texas and under tin roof most of its life. Maybe different story if in houston with the humidity.

Look forward to your posts on your bbq pit build adventure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fabkid33
Wrangler

Postby Fabkid33 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:45 am

Got some different pipe and building my smoker now
Here is the link. viewtopic.php?f=67&t=35176

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”