Insulated Vertical Reverse Flow Smoker Build

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Re: Insulated Vertical Reverse Flow Smoker Build

Postby GRailsback » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:48 pm

I’ll drink some beer on the lake for you Sasquatch
sasquatchtx USER_AVATAR
SasquatchTX
Pilgrim

Postby SasquatchTX » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:12 pm

GRailsback wrote:I’ll drink some beer on the lake for you Sasquatch

Appreciate it! 8 days till it has to be rollin smoke. Definitely have my work cut out for me!!
"You may all go to heck and I will go to Texas! ~ Davy Crockett
:texas:
WoodyQ
Pilgrim

Postby WoodyQ » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:27 pm

Sasquatch, nice design. I am planning something along the same lines. I need an reverse flow insulated cooker. I'm up near Canada and can't use my grill in the winter, too cold to get anything to burn besides propane and I'm a stick burner. I hope ya don't mind a thousands questions. What wall thickness is your 2" square tube? And what will you use to skin both inside and out? You have a Miller wire feed, I have a Lincoln. Can you tell me a little about the Miller? Voltage? Amperage? I'm not sure how much my Lincoln can handle, it's the 175 model, 30 amps and around .03 on the wire flux core. What will you be using those ball valves for? Thanks, and sorry for all the questions. This is my first build, hoping to measure twice and cut once, if ya know what I mean.
sasquatchtx USER_AVATAR
SasquatchTX
Pilgrim

Postby SasquatchTX » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:36 pm

WoodyQ wrote:Sasquatch, nice design. I am planning something along the same lines. I need an reverse flow insulated cooker. I'm up near Canada and can't use my grill in the winter, too cold to get anything to burn besides propane and I'm a stick burner. I hope ya don't mind a thousands questions. What wall thickness is your 2" square tube? And what will you use to skin both inside and out? You have a Miller wire feed, I have a Lincoln. Can you tell me a little about the Miller? Voltage? Amperage? I'm not sure how much my Lincoln can handle, it's the 175 model, 30 amps and around .03 on the wire flux core. What will you be using those ball valves for? Thanks, and sorry for all the questions. This is my first build, hoping to measure twice and cut once, if ya know what I mean.

WoodyQ, Thanks for checking out my build! Insulated smoker is the way to go, with either extremely hot or cold temps. Cook chamber stays consistent temps with minimal fuel consumption. For the 2" I used 11g. Since its on a trainer and moving around, I wanted it to be stout. Skins are 10g interior and 12g exterior. The plate between the FB and CC will be 3/16". Ball valves are used to control airflow into the FB.

As far as the welder goes, my buddy is the professional welder. It's his welder, so I am not sure on the specifics of that.
sasquatchtx USER_AVATAR
SasquatchTX
Pilgrim

Postby SasquatchTX » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:03 pm

Well, its been an interesting week trying to get this project finished up, and unfortunately I am going to miss my deadline for this event. But such is life, and there are plenty more in the future.

My welder got called into work on Saturday, so no work that day. We did, however, make some great progress on Sunday.

Day 5: We were able to get the rest of the rest of the walls insulated, and skins are all stitch welded. 2" pipe is also welded in the FB on the left side for the ball valves.

InkedPhoto Jul 01, 7 39 41 PM (Medium)_LI.jpg

Photo Jul 01, 7 39 51 PM (Medium).jpg

Day 6 - 4th of July (Every day is a good day to build! lol) We started filling in all the stitch welds from the skins, but after an hour or so the welder went down. Note to self....make sure you have plenty of consumables before working on a holiday! Welding supply stores are worse than banks when it comes to holidays!! We were, however, able to get the doors cut, and one is fitted ready to weld!

Photo Jul 04, 3 14 42 PM (Medium).jpg

Since my event (still going to have fun) is this weekend, wont be getting any more done for a couple weeks. I will update again when I'm a little further along!

Still to do:

* Doors
* False walls for RF
* Plate between FB and CC
* Charcoal baskets for FB
* Shelf Brackets
* Shelves

In short.....all I lack is finishing!! :lol: :lol:
WoodyQ
Pilgrim

Postby WoodyQ » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:39 pm

Thanks for your reply. Your build is looking good. Cool idea about using the ball valves for your air intake. Glad to see your pics are right side up.
sasquatchtx USER_AVATAR
SasquatchTX
Pilgrim

Postby SasquatchTX » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:27 pm

Finally got a chance to work on the beast this weekend, and we made some pretty good progress. Its definitely starting to take shape, and "other people" are telling me that it is starting to make sense to them.......(smh.....).

We focused on getting the right side done, in case anything crazy came up we could address it and not have to do it twice. It is pretty much done, minus the doors, racks, and charcoal basket.

1. Inner walls are installed, and all the 1x has been added for the doors to seal against. Separator between the FB and CC is in and welded up solid. All the rack brackets have been installed as well. Rack for the charcoal basket is also installed

Photo Jul 15, 5 35 36 PM (Medium).jpg

Photo Jul 15, 5 35 49 PM (Medium).jpg

2. Sensor tube is installed and welded in all 3 skins. This will allow for all sensors to pass through and have a cap to keep from running them through the door.

Photo Jul 15, 5 35 57 PM (Medium).jpg

Photo Jul 15, 5 36 11 PM (Medium).jpg

The plan for next weekend is to make the same progress on the left side. If all goes well, we should be able to get it buttoned up within the next 2-3 weekends......and then its time to cook!

Stay tuned for more updates!

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”