150 gallon build questions

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

tipps
Pilgrim

150 gallon build questions

Postby tipps » Tue May 01, 2018 12:35 am

Been reading on here for some time, finally made an account and started my own build. My previous smoker I helped build, but it was thrown together with what we had and there wasn’t any formulas involved. I modified it and gave to my sister and her fam.

So I bought a 150 gallon tank for cheap, it’s 24” diameter, purged it, and cut 24” off one end for my firebox. I just felt like this length gave me room for the log sizes I typically cut, with room to move closer or away from CC. The cook chamber is rough 56”, so my percentage on Feldon for firebox is nearing 130%.... is this that bad?

Few more questions, should I double wall the firebox?
Also, I see lots of the half moon cuts but going from round FB to round CC wouldn’t the football shape make more sense?

Do the weld seams at end caps on these tanks interfere with much in the smoker or firebox? Seems like that have a good size interior lip on em. Wish i didn’t loose the few inches outside the seams for my doors (shallow end cap).

I’m planning on running a 5” exhaust, wasn’t sure if length given is for above the chamber or from where it exits.

I was gonna try and do the cantilever stack like Franklin, so it would be center of grate. Right now I have most of the paint removed, but there are some areas I may have to grind because I’ve tried stripping the paint and also burned fire inside. I’m sure I’ll have lots more questions, but thanks in advance for any help up to this point.
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Re: 150 gallon build questions

Postby TX1911 » Tue May 01, 2018 9:10 am

Welcome to the forum! I can't help much on the build, other than to add that my firebox is very oversized for my pit, but it seems to work well.

I'm sure someone with a little (probably a lot) more knowledge about the build process will be along shortly to help out.
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
tipps
Pilgrim

Postby tipps » Tue May 01, 2018 12:55 pm

TX1911 wrote:Welcome to the forum! I can't help much on the build, other than to add that my firebox is very oversized for my pit, but it seems to work well.

I'm sure someone with a little (probably a lot) more knowledge about the build process will be along shortly to help out.

Thank you sir. Good to be on here, I know it's a helpful place.
tipps
Pilgrim

Postby tipps » Fri May 18, 2018 2:15 pm

Just an update, with more research I've figured a few things out.

Got my firebox cut down more, and now I'm at 110% on it. Was able to figure the football shape area that corresponds to the half moon area given on the calculator, and almost have that part done. All paint is removed from tank, and most of the holes from valves have been filled.

I've started on some 20" wagon spoke wheels for it, and will make the front end steer with a handle. Will post pics when I get a little farther.

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”