Pit Help

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Re: Pit Help

Postby GRailsback » Thu May 24, 2018 7:13 am

Send some pictures of what you have so these guys have a better idea of what may help you.
Txxsjstr
Pilgrim

Postby Txxsjstr » Thu May 24, 2018 7:26 am

Hello all. Just joined this forum today. Been lurking for awhile. Just got a smoker, it is only 1/8" thick. Concerned with heat los/control. Trying to think of how to make it better. Considering external fire blanket wrap, fire bricks inside, on walls, possibly top of firebox if I can get it to stick. Firebox lid does not.open. If fire brick is suggested, should I put it on the bottom as well?

Got it for next to nothing so I can't complain. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

On a side note, it has never been cooked in. I want to season/cure it tonight. Hopefully will have enough information. To decide what I am going to do when finished. Really want to cook on it before I go back to work Sunday night.

Thanks in advance to everyone.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu May 24, 2018 8:25 am

Howdy and Welcome to the Forum :tup: :texas:
IMHO, you have come to the right place for Pit advise so just hang on and I'm sure one or more of our expert/members will be helping you soon. :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
Txxsjstr
Pilgrim

Postby Txxsjstr » Thu May 24, 2018 9:10 am

How do I upload pic? I have just a couple right now but hopefully they will help with advice.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu May 24, 2018 10:49 am

From the looks of your Build Post, I think you've got the problem well in hand. :tup:

viewtopic.php?f=67&t=31846
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
wBuddy
Pilgrim

Postby wBuddy » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:48 am

Hi folks, im planning to build my own smoker. would very much appreciate any input / critics on this design, especially on the slope on the bottom plate of the cookchamber, i know its not mainstream.

thanks
Attachments
smoker.PNG
pinoypitmaster USER_AVATAR
PinoyPitmaster
Cowboy

Pit Help

Postby PinoyPitmaster » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:50 pm

Firs thing comes to mind is grease and fat dripping sliding back toward fire. Could make for a nasty fire!

Maybe control it by adding a baffle? Or drip hole so oil doesn’t get next to fire flare up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pinoypitmaster USER_AVATAR
PinoyPitmaster
Cowboy

Pit Help

Postby PinoyPitmaster » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:53 pm

wBuddy wrote:Hi folks, im planning to build my own smoker. would very much appreciate any input / critics on this design, especially on the slope on the bottom plate of the cookchamber, i know its not mainstream.

thanks

Firs thing comes to mind is grease and fat dripping sliding back toward fire. Could make for a nasty fire!

Maybe control it by adding a baffle? Or drip hole so oil doesn’t get next to fire and flare up!

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”