Smoker - Heat Questions

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Smoker - Heat Questions

Postby nascarchuck » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:04 pm

OK, I realize that:

*the gauge in the lid is probably not very accurate and it is not a gate level

*it's colder outside recently (currently 39*, humidity 93%, wind SE @ 12mph)

But I have noticed that the last time I smoked a rack of ribs I just couldn't keep the fire hot enough.

Today I am having the same problem.

I have a pretty decent fire going and both vent open 100%. The gauge in the lid shows about 180*

I have a CharGriller SuperPro and the only mod is the stack is extended to the grate. I'm using Kingsford coals with apple wood chunks.

Questions:

*With heat rising, wouldn't the lid temp be hotter than grate temp?

*What can I do to raise the temp?

Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

Kalrog
Rustler

Postby Kalrog » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:25 pm

Is the wind causing the temp reduction? Maybe a wind break? That is the biggest issue with my WSM and keeping temps up - not the cold, the wind.
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:31 pm

Not sure of your weather scenario but get it under cover if you aint already. Or at least rig up something to block the precip and wind off the pit..or at least the firebox. Add more fuel than normal. That should bring it up. Might be the problemo is no wind. Aint blowing a bit at my house. If you got a little wind turn it to where it blowing direct at the intakes. If you aint got no wind and are otherwise high and dry...rig up a small fan to blow gently and direct at the air intakes. Raise the stack up higher if it moveable. Make sure you got all the dead ashes cleaned out from under the fire grate. Try that and repoat back.

bigwheel
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:45 pm

bigwheel wrote:Not sure of your weather scenario but get it under cover if you aint already. Or at least rig up something to block the precip and wind off the pit..or at least the firebox. Add more fuel than normal. That should bring it up. Might be the problemo is no wind. Aint blowing a bit at my house. If you got a little wind turn it to where it blowing direct at the intakes. If you aint got no wind and are otherwise high and dry...rig up a small fan to blow gently and direct at the air intakes. Raise the stack up higher if it moveable. Make sure you got all the dead ashes cleaned out from under the fire grate. Try that and repoat back.

bigwheel

OK sir... Repoating as commanded to.

Actually the PC says the wind is 12MPH, but I don't believe it unless the wind gauge is at the back side of a 777 at DFW. There doesn't seem to be much wind.

I neglected to say that I am under a canopy. I have a large covered patio and thats where i'm cookin at.

As far as rain, it's not really raining. I'm about 20 miles SW of you so there aint much difference in the weather...
Chuck

scotty da q USER_AVATAR
Scotty Da Q
Cowboy

Postby Scotty Da Q » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:50 pm

I don't have one of those, but I've heard that the charcoal basket mod works wonders.
Regards,
Scotty
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:59 pm

Ok suspect the fire aint getting enough air. Break out the fan. Wind has picked up just a little here..maybe 1 or two mph as we speak just looking at the trees. Person should be out crappie fishing today.

bigwheel
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:15 pm

bigwheel wrote:Ok suspect the fire aint getting enough air. Break out the fan. Wind has picked up just a little here..maybe 1 or two mph as we speak just looking at the trees. Person should be out crappie fishing today.

bigwheel

Why would a person want to catch crap? I catch enough of that at work!

Scotty... Is that just an expanded metal basket? Just load it up with unlit coals then dump about 1/2 chimney lit coals in?

I have heard about the basket mod, but don't know anything about it.
Chuck

scotty da q USER_AVATAR
Scotty Da Q
Cowboy

Postby Scotty Da Q » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:28 pm

From what I remember...

Yeah, it's just an expanded metal grate. You can weld it, or just use nuts n bolts.

A quick Google yielded this:
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forums ... stcount=10

which pretty much sums it up.
I think Puff did some of these mods too.
Regards,
Scotty
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:30 pm

Chuck, it looks from the pic that the ash from the charcoal is up to the bottom of the fire grate, if it is the fire won't burn right. no air under the grate. Clean out the ash more often. Also if you take the fire grate and turn it 90* to where it rests up higher and rests on the sides of the firebox and not on the rails it sets on now, this will help get more air under the fire and not let the ash choke the fire. There's a mod for this too, but for right now this will help. :D I had to do this on the one I had. also had to open the door to the firebox just a little sometimes to get more air. :D
Jim
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:34 pm

OSD wrote:Chuck, it looks from the pic that the ash from the charcoal is up to the bottom of the fire grate, if it is the fire won't burn right. no air under the grate. Clean out the ash more often. Also if you take the fire grate and turn it 90* to where it rests up higher and rests on the sides of the firebox and not on the rails it sets on now, this will help get more air under the fire and not let the ash choke the fire. There's a mod for this too, but for right now this will help. :D I had to do this on the one I had. also had to open the door to the firebox just a little sometimes to get more air. :D

OK... Now how is a person supossed to clear the ashes out during a cook without burnin a finger or two? I have noticed that in the past...

I need to look through those mods that you sent me awhile back...
Chuck

bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:40 pm

Well I got special custom built basket from Mikey..the one legged..one eared...one weld..bbq welder. Now mine is specially constructed for upright direct with or w/o the optional water pan. It is closed in on all sides with sheet metal except for the bottom and top..(if a person consider them sides). Top is empty bottom is expanded metal bbq grate and it sets up on legs so to get air to underneath the fire. I got a special ho made shovel where I can work under it to drag out the dead ashes. Now for an offset pit believe you would want one which is open toward all sides..including the bottom but with a sheet metal barrier on the side which faces the cook chamber. That save you having to worry about heat baffles blah blah blah. You got a built in baffle which comes with the basket so aint no need to try to narrow the hole twixt the cookchamber and firebox.. Simple huh?

bigwheel
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:41 pm

FWIW, the very first time I used mine I couldn't get the temp up either, but then found out I was actually cooking at about 275* because the lid therm was about 70* off.

If you have any kind of stem therm, place it in either end for a few minutes in one of the holes at grate level...that will give you FB end and far end more acurate temps.
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:01 pm

Put on your welder's gloves and grab a pair of pliers. Lift up on the fire grate and take a small hoe..shovel..graden trowel etc..and start dragging out the dead ashes. Throw them into a galvanized wash tub or metal bucket of some type. When you get done cooking cover the ashes with water and wait a day or two and go throw it in the backyard..neighbors yard or the trash can etc. That should work. Its good for the grass and trees depending on the ph of your soil. If you can grow evergreen trees that is a sign of acidic soil. The ashes will be a alkaline..so it should help balance out all that bizness. If you get real industrious you could take the soaked ashes and wait two week then boil it up with the meat drippings and some cheap perfume and have your little bride make lye soap. That should keep her out of the bingo parlor for a while...Chip n Dales etc. Idle hands are the devil's workshop ya know? Whut my Granny always said anyway.

bigwheel

nascarchuck wrote:
OSD wrote:Chuck, it looks from the pic that the ash from the charcoal is up to the bottom of the fire grate, if it is the fire won't burn right. no air under the grate. Clean out the ash more often. Also if you take the fire grate and turn it 90* to where it rests up higher and rests on the sides of the firebox and not on the rails it sets on now, this will help get more air under the fire and not let the ash choke the fire. There's a mod for this too, but for right now this will help. :D I had to do this on the one I had. also had to open the door to the firebox just a little sometimes to get more air. :D

OK... Now how is a person supossed to clear the ashes out during a cook without burnin a finger or two? I have noticed that in the past...

osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:16 pm

Chuck, isn't the ash tray on a pull out under the fire grate?? Pulls out from the end.
Jim
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:50 am

nascarchuck wrote:

Failure to do the mods, operating a smoker in an unsafe condition, failure to calibrate lid thermometer...... Where's my citation book! :wink: :roll:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”