Rookie looking for advice

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Wings
Pilgrim

Rookie looking for advice

Postby Wings » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:01 am

As a rookie, I guess I posted this in the wrong section. ooops! I'm looking for a little advice on buying a new smoker. Here's an enhanced copy of my original note.

I've always enjoyed outdoor cooking and I'm looking to expand my options a little. I've got a 22 inch Weber kettle and a Weber Genisis gas grill (good for those quick weeknight meals). For the past five or six years I've also used a Masterbilit (?) gas fired upright smoker but I've never been real happy with it. It's gotten the job done but it's tme to move on. I considered an electic smoker, like a Bradley, but have decided to go the tradional route.
I'm not looking to break the bank but I want a decent unit that a newbie can learn without looking like a total fool. (I've got plenty of those skills in other areas. LOL) Anyway, I've checked the local BBQ supply stores and have narrowed the field to two units, a Tejas 1628 offset model (Houston) or a 32" Urban Cooker from Southern Cooker (OK). I'm leaning toward the UC because I can get a nice discount and it works out to about $100 less than the Tejas. $700 Vs $800
I'm looking for some comments, suggestions, ideas, concerns etc etc. What do the experts think of these two smokers and what would you guys recommend?
Ok, I've rambled for too long. I'll now sit back and read your replies. Thanks for helping out a novice.

Paul
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:41 am

How many folks will you be cooking for? The reason I ask, is those stick burners can be kinda pricey to run to make a dinner for two.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:15 am

I have a Southern Style, works great for me and much more effient than an offset' in my opinion.

See my review in this section.
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
honu41
Outlaw

Postby honu41 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:28 pm

Aloha Wings,

Welcome to the Forum... Came to the right place to ask questions. These guys and gals can help you as they did me. I been here just over a month and have learned many facets of slow and low cooking.

I would agree with DAVE... How many people do you intend to feed?

I have a few different pieces of bbq/grilling/rotissing hardware and needed to move up to a different style of cooking. I went for a 24 x 48 stickburner to round out my arsenal because I like to have my family (10 adults and 5 grandkids) over for bbq, host large backyard parties and I do some catering to bring in some coins.

If either unit will suit your needs then price will be your controlling factor.

Good luck.

Take care a hui hou,
honu41
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:34 pm

I just have to add here that honu41 is the one guy on the forum that knows a pit from a hole in the ground................I think.... :D

BTW if you ever consider a pellet cooker I can give you some pointers that you will like.
tarde venientibus ossa....
Kalrog
Rustler

Postby Kalrog » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:43 pm

I have been pleasantly surprised with how much food I can do (well) on a $200 Weber Smokey Mountain. And I can buy a lot of practice meat for the $500 I saved over the more expensive options. Also takes up less deck space.

But I am still tempted to be able to do a side of beef at once...
honu41
Outlaw

Postby honu41 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:55 pm

Aloha PT,

Mahalos for adding on to my cooking adventures... not necessarily skills. You can say: "Have lava rocks... will travel." :)

I did look at a pellet bbq. I liked it but even the trailer model they have would not cook enough grub for my catering events.

On another thread on jerky; the Hawaiians make "pipikaula" a version of jerky but it is not really dried. I have tried making it in the summer here in the Northwest and it came out pretty good. With the stickburner's upright I may be able to "dial-in" a low enough temp to make pipikaula.

Be flying out to HI to attend a high school and college buddy's memorial service.

Need to work on my suntan... starting to get rusty! :D

Still waiting for my pit to be shipped by Ritch... about another month.

take care a hui hou,
honu41
honu41
Outlaw

Postby honu41 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:07 pm

Aloha Kalrog,

You want to rotiss a side of beef? With a larger diameter spit I should be able to turn a side of beef. May have to "beef-up" (excuse the pun) the rotiss stand to hold the added weight. I know the 1/2 horse motor and the industrial worm drive will handle it.

Get me an estimated weight of a side and I will do some calcs...

take care a hui hou,
honu41
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:42 pm

Well did some back tracking and read the reviews on the Southern Style Pit which Gator posted and if it boil down twixt one of them and an offset I take the Southern Style any old day. Obeys many more of the laws of physcis and thermodynamics and such things than do an offset. Bound to be mo efficient etc. just like he say. Now I noticed in the same thread Deputy Dats mention somebody fixing to acquire a combo gasser/pellet muncher. Wonder whutever happened on that deal?

bigwheel

Gator wrote:I have a Southern Style, works great for me and much more effient than an offset' in my opinion.

osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:40 pm

I would go for an upright before an offset. The learning curve is easier and they are a more efficient smoker. :D :D I use a Spicewine insulated upright. :D The Southern would be my choice or a WSM if just for a few people. :D :D
Jim
Wings
Pilgrim

Postby Wings » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:11 am

Gator wrote:I have a Southern Style, works great for me and much more effient than an offset' in my opinion.

Found it! Not sure why I didn't locate your reveiw the first time I checked this section. I'm looking at a slightly different model from them, (on wheels) but basically the same.
I must admit a WSM would probably be a 'smarter' choice because most of the time I'm only cooking for two to four people but I've always wanted a smoker that could handle a crowd if needed.
I'll keep looking around and reading here on the forum to continue my 'education'.
Thanks again for any and all advice.

Paul
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:27 am

I took a look at the Southern Cookers literature and see the UC 32.

It looks like the same basic design as the one I have, just a little more lightweight and portable. I would say those cooker are a better start and easier to use than the average offsets.

Let us know how it goes and give us a pit report - and remember, we love pictures. :wink:
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
Kalrog
Rustler

Postby Kalrog » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:48 am

Wings wrote:I must admit a WSM would probably be a 'smarter' choice because most of the time I'm only cooking for two to four people but I've always wanted a smoker that could handle a crowd if needed.

I'm not trying to get you to regret your choice, because I too would like to be able to cook for dozens at once. But you might be under estimating what you can do with the WSM. With the 2 grates, you can easily do a 10lb+ pork shoulder and a 10lb+ brisket at the same time. Or swap one of those for half a dozen racks of ribs or a couple of chickens or ... Yeah, way too much food for a family of 4 (as my wife keeps reminding me when I make way too much).

Whatever you get, enjoy it and learn it well. Smoking is gud.
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:09 pm

Kalrog wrote:
Wings wrote:I must admit a WSM would probably be a 'smarter' choice because most of the time I'm only cooking for two to four people but I've always wanted a smoker that could handle a crowd if needed.

I'm not trying to get you to regret your choice, because I too would like to be able to cook for dozens at once. But you might be under estimating what you can do with the WSM. With the 2 grates, you can easily do a 10lb+ pork shoulder and a 10lb+ brisket at the same time. Or swap one of those for half a dozen racks of ribs or a couple of chickens or ... Yeah, way too much food for a family of 4 (as my wife keeps reminding me when I make way too much).

Whatever you get, enjoy it and learn it well. Smoking is gud.

You could do far worse than a WSM, and folks that have them swear by them. Tried and True all over this great land they are. Course there are folks that swear by their jeeps too, they just ain't ever driven a Range Rover.

Ponder this: Have you considered a ceramic? I've done big packers that fed 20+ folks. And when it comes to fuel effecientcy they can't be beat. I've done long cooks (12+ hours) without adding fuel. No need for wind breaks or space to stack a cord of wood. Look at the ceramics on the gallery, most if not all have manufacturer links.

The big nice Kamado Komados are pricey but have some neat features. The Big Green Egg and Primo's are move wallet friendly but still not a cheap date. The Imperial Komado is earthen ware and not ceramic. Shipping can be a significant part of the overall cost of these beloved dual purpose cookers (2nd use is Yard Art). These cookers will never rust and should out live you assuming you don't drop the cooker of a deck onto a hard rock.

You can "cold" smoke (175*), hot smoke or grill up to 600*+, though I've never used my cookers that hot. Once adjusted, they just need minor tweaks through the cook (read that adjusting the top vent ever so slightly).

Like my Gran Daddy use to say "You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy". 8) :lol: :shock: :lol:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”