Cheap drum BBQ for a taste of smoking?

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

TheCaretaker
Pilgrim

Cheap drum BBQ for a taste of smoking?

Postby TheCaretaker » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:14 pm

Hi, new around here and apologies if it's an old subject. I have search a bit but couldn't find anything specific.

I've got a cheap drum style BBQ that up until now has only every been used for grilling. I've stumbled across the smoking side of things and wondered if it would be possible to use it for this as well, maybe with a few modifications.

It's not really something that I'm likely to do all that often, due to time and other commitments, so don't really want to have to buy and store another bbq.

The BBQ in questions is here.

Yes it's pretty cheap and shoddy, but it does the job as far as grilling goes.

Would it be possible to use as a smoker? Seal it up and bit and charcoal in one end, food in the other? Or would there be more to it?

Any suggestions on how to make this work?
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Cheap drum BBQ for a taste of smoking?

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:29 pm

First of all, Welcome to the Forum - - -:tup: :salut: :texas:

Now about that pit - - - there's lots of members here that can advise you a lot further on this but the FIRST thing that I see is you need to get the air/heat/smoke moving across your meat so you'll need an exhaust hole/port/pipe/etc probably on one end and then the fire on the other but without the exhaust, I think you're :deadhorse:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”