First Time Build

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Grems4Ever
Pilgrim

Re: First Time Build

Postby Grems4Ever » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:40 pm

Fabbed up a crude, but hopefully functional fresh air control for the firebox...

Extended the passage to the smoke chamber because I miscalculated how much it needed to extend past the firebox...
slamkeys USER_AVATAR
slamkeys
Rustler

Postby slamkeys » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:52 pm

Chasdev wrote:Here's one of Franklin's newer smokers..(too bad it took a fire disaster for me to be able to grab the picture).
That's Bethesda. Franklin talked about it a little on his PBS series back in 2015 (long before the fire). Thanks for sharing the photos. It looks like he hadn't installed the smokestacks yet in the PBS video. If you have Amazon Prime that entire series is free to watch right now.

It's a rotisserie Franklin built for ribs. He commented about how most big rotisseries use gas or electricity for heat, and that goes against his "organic" principles I guess, so he built a wood-only firebox for it. He also basically apologized for not having developed a way to use steam to power the rotisserie yet, and instead has to use an electric motor. I never heard any more about it, so I wonder how much he actually likes the rear firebox on that thing.

Yoder Loaded Wichita 2016
Big Green Egg 2014
Grems4Ever
Pilgrim

Postby Grems4Ever » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:03 pm

With the exception if some handles and possibly a fire grate inside, the firebox is done.

Just about time for final assembly... :cheers:
Grems4Ever
Pilgrim

Postby Grems4Ever » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:34 pm

Finished boxing off the open ends of the square tubing and started adding the beginnings of the firebox support...

Grems4Ever
Pilgrim

Postby Grems4Ever » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:27 pm

Quick mock-up for measurement purposes. So far, the components are lining up like they are supposed to. :D

Grems4Ever
Pilgrim

Postby Grems4Ever » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:56 am

Burned it in this morning with excellent results. It came up to temperature quickly and easily held 300° for over an hour without much effort on my part with old charcoal and some less than ideal oak. I can't wait to see what it does with better quality fuel. :cheers:

Here some pictures to update the journey...

rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:55 pm

Congratulations. I love the saddles you built to set the tanks in and the rubber tires
Grems4Ever
Pilgrim

Postby Grems4Ever » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:27 pm

Thanks.

Since the metal in air tanks isn't nearly as stout as say a propane tank, my plan was to attempt to keep the stress on the tanks as low as possible. The wheels came about after it dawned on me just how heavy the final product would be. I still plan on removing the base from the big tank and adding a true handle to move it around with, but I haven't decided just how I want to do that.
wBuddy
Pilgrim

Postby wBuddy » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:47 am

Hi folks, im planning to build my own smoker. would very much appreciate any input / critics on this design, especially on the slope on the bottom plate of the cookchamber, i know its not mainstream.

thanks
Attachments
smoker.PNG

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”