First Time Build

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Grems4Ever
Pilgrim

First Time Build

Postby Grems4Ever » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:30 pm

I'm planning on attempting my first ever smoker build over the winter. Here's a rough sketch of what I have been pondering...

The picture isn't scale and is pretty crude, but it's worlds better than anything I could sketch out by hand. I already have the tanks, steel for the frame work, and possibly the pipe for the chimney on hand. I'll try to get a couple of pictures of the tanks up tomorrow for reference. The numbers are from Feldon's online calculator.

I'm sure there's going to be many, many changes before it is finished, but one has to start somewhere. Suggestions are welcome and encouraged. :lol:
Grems4Ever
Pilgrim

Re: First Time Build

Postby Grems4Ever » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:23 pm

Life got complicated pretty soon after my initial post so I should able to start making some progress on this project soon. Here's what I'm starting with:

60 gallon compressor tank for the cooking chamber

10 gallon portable air tank for the fire box

I switched to the smaller air tank because it is close enough to the right dimensions that I won't have to cut it down - that and I totally forgot I had it.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:00 pm

Good Winter Project for sure - - - looking forward to your build progress pics also :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:42 pm

I'm not a builder but have been paying attention to how different smokers are designed and I must say that the true offset with firebox at one end is starting to lose out to ones designed with the firebox running across the back of the cook chamber with more than one connection for the smoke to access the cook chamber.
Here's one of Franklin's newer smokers..(too bad it took a fire disaster for me to be able to grab the picture).
Attachments
DSC00008.JPG
DSC00009.JPG
Grems4Ever
Pilgrim

Postby Grems4Ever » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:13 pm

That's an interesting idea. I wonder if mounting the firebox behind the cook chamber changes the specs for firebox size or area of the opening between the two... :scratch:
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:52 pm

Chasdev wrote:I'm not a builder but have been paying attention to how different smokers are designed and I must say that the true offset with firebox at one end is starting to lose out to ones designed with the firebox running across the back of the cook chamber with more than one connection for the smoke to access the cook chamber.
Here's one of Franklin's newer smokers..(too bad it took a fire disaster for me to be able to grab the picture).

Actually rear mounted fireboxes were very popular about 10 years ago with the inception of Diamond plate cookers but then started to decline because of the inconsistency in heat across the chamber. Although many designs have come and gone the old faithful standard offset with tuning plates still prevails
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:57 am

I'd love to get a close look at Franklin's rear burner rig.. wonder if the fire feeds from both ends and what the connection between the firebox and cook chamber looks like.
Probably never know, or at least not soon enough to make any difference.
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:36 pm

Chasdev wrote:I'd love to get a close look at Franklin's rear burner rig.. wonder if the fire feeds from both ends and what the connection between the firebox and cook chamber looks like.
Probably never know, or at least not soon enough to make any difference.

Looks similar to the one used at Pecan Lodge. You can see in their pit room from the outside dining area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:45 pm

I agree KAM, once you get an offset tuned up and flowing properly, its unbeatable.
Grems4Ever
Pilgrim

Postby Grems4Ever » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:05 pm

After several frustrating hours of sketching out designs for a stand for the smoker that the math would just not work out right (taught math for 12 years :shock: ), my wonderful wife suggested that I was over thinking things a little bit (guilty :oops: ). After a good nights sleep, I started over completely and within an hour I had a sketch with dimensions that actually worked. :D That woman just knows me too well. :rose:

I'm going with a modified sawhorse design that should let the tank settle into the frame about 2" below the centerline angling out to a wider stance for stability. I'm planning on cutting metal this afternoon and maybe tacking it together if the rain stops for a little while. If I get that far, I'll post up the results this evening.
rodcrafter USER_AVATAR
Rodcrafter
Wrangler

Postby Rodcrafter » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:57 pm

Post you sketch and we will see if the design is solid. Could save you some work/money/stress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Grems4Ever
Pilgrim

Postby Grems4Ever » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:56 pm

I’d love to, but my computer is on the fritz and I can’t resize pictures to meet forum requirements.

Maybe this will work...

https://imgur.com/a/BY1x6
Grems4Ever
Pilgrim

Postby Grems4Ever » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:27 am

OK - I finally got things working again enough to edit the photos...

Side view

End view

When put together, it will form a cradle that the 60 gallon air tank will nestle down in and hold it while I complete the work on the tank & firebox. Once that is all put together, I will true everything up and weld the stand to the cooking chamber. Or at least I will when the weather warms up and dries up enough for me to do some more welding. Working outside really stinks at times.
Grems4Ever
Pilgrim

Postby Grems4Ever » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:09 pm

Afternoon everyone. Mother Nature finally gave me a great day to make some progress on my smoker project...

Just a couple of questions...
1. Do you think I should add additional horizontal bracing on the stand?

2. If I decide to make this a reverse flow smoker, what gauge metal should I use for the baffle?

I've got pork ribs in the micro smoker going that should be done sometime soon. :D
Grems4Ever
Pilgrim

Postby Grems4Ever » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:06 pm

Got to looking at it this morning and realized that the frame was no where near square. :banghead: Some cutting, grinding, and welding later, it's back on the stand. I narrowed the distance where the cooking chamber sits so it sits a little higher, but I'm ok with that.

Now I can start figuring out the firebox...

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”