First Time Build

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Grems4Ever
Pilgrim

First Time Build

Postby Grems4Ever » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:30 pm

I'm planning on attempting my first ever smoker build over the winter. Here's a rough sketch of what I have been pondering...

The picture isn't scale and is pretty crude, but it's worlds better than anything I could sketch out by hand. I already have the tanks, steel for the frame work, and possibly the pipe for the chimney on hand. I'll try to get a couple of pictures of the tanks up tomorrow for reference. The numbers are from Feldon's online calculator.

I'm sure there's going to be many, many changes before it is finished, but one has to start somewhere. Suggestions are welcome and encouraged. :lol:
Grems4Ever
Pilgrim

Re: First Time Build

Postby Grems4Ever » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:23 pm

Life got complicated pretty soon after my initial post so I should able to start making some progress on this project soon. Here's what I'm starting with:

60 gallon compressor tank for the cooking chamber

10 gallon portable air tank for the fire box

I switched to the smaller air tank because it is close enough to the right dimensions that I won't have to cut it down - that and I totally forgot I had it.
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:00 pm

Good Winter Project for sure - - - looking forward to your build progress pics also :tup: :salut:
OUP

" Country by choice, Texan by the Grace of God "
Chasdev
Bandolero

Postby Chasdev » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:42 pm

I'm not a builder but have been paying attention to how different smokers are designed and I must say that the true offset with firebox at one end is starting to lose out to ones designed with the firebox running across the back of the cook chamber with more than one connection for the smoke to access the cook chamber.
Here's one of Franklin's newer smokers..(too bad it took a fire disaster for me to be able to grab the picture).
Attachments
DSC00008.JPG
DSC00009.JPG
Grems4Ever
Pilgrim

Postby Grems4Ever » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:13 pm

That's an interesting idea. I wonder if mounting the firebox behind the cook chamber changes the specs for firebox size or area of the opening between the two... :scratch:
k.a.m.
Outlaw

Postby k.a.m. » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:52 pm

Chasdev wrote:I'm not a builder but have been paying attention to how different smokers are designed and I must say that the true offset with firebox at one end is starting to lose out to ones designed with the firebox running across the back of the cook chamber with more than one connection for the smoke to access the cook chamber.
Here's one of Franklin's newer smokers..(too bad it took a fire disaster for me to be able to grab the picture).

Actually rear mounted fireboxes were very popular about 10 years ago with the inception of Diamond plate cookers but then started to decline because of the inconsistency in heat across the chamber. Although many designs have come and gone the old faithful standard offset with tuning plates still prevails
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”