ADVICE APPRECIATED: Smokehouse plans

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

luckieford
Pilgrim

ADVICE APPRECIATED: Smokehouse plans

Postby luckieford » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:52 pm

My son and I have purchased a wooden furniture storage container that is almost completely air tight when closed, is 8' tall, 5' wide and 10' long. We plan to use this as our smokehouse. We have a wood burning stove that we want to use as our heat source. Grand plans but no experience in what would work best given what is mentioned.

Looking for any and all input on the following:

Heat source inside the unit or outside?
    If piped in, optimal location for stovepipe entry?
    Where best do we vent the smokehouse?
    Any other suggestions?

Love keeping up reading the site and figured you folks would have the best answers. Thanks in advance!
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Re: ADVICE APPRECIATED: Smokehouse plans

Postby Chasdev » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:19 am

Sounds like a good old fashioned cold smoker..I don't have any solid advice except to say you better be sure the crate wood has not been treated with chemicals or you could end up with some bad stuff in your food.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:53 am

Great Point made by Mr. Charlie :salut: - - - - Luckie, here is a link with some cool ideas and suggestions that might help. https://theselfsufficientliving.com/12- ... king-food/

We also have some great and knowledgeable Cold Smokers on this Forum and hopefully they will post up some "personal ideas and experiences" :tup:

Good Luck and post up some build Pics and Progress when you can. :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
luckieford
Pilgrim

Postby luckieford » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:53 pm

Thanks ChasDev and OldUsedParts for your input! The wood is definitely all untreated.....one of the major requirements when we purchased it!

Looking forward to hearing the thoughts of the others!
luckieford
Pilgrim

Postby luckieford » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:05 pm

Also would like to get on input using it for hot smoking rather than cold smoking. All of our experience with a smokehouse has been hot smoking in an old wooden shack that was just a bit bigger and it had "natural" ventilation! lol :laughing7:
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:28 pm

Can you post some pics of the box?
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
luckieford
Pilgrim

Postby luckieford » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:44 pm

I don't have any photos of mine handy and unfortunately, it is a weekend project and is currently located about 30 miles from my home. I have included a photo of a container that is very similar to ours except ours is made of 3/4" plywood instead of particle board.

k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:24 pm

You could use pipe or fab a square firebox. Come in at around 2' high with some 6" black double lined stove pipe. Put two 8" exhausts on it on the opposite side they need only be 12" tall. You'll probably need a circulation fan running in there to keep the smoke moving.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
luckieford
Pilgrim

Postby luckieford » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:10 am

Thanks for all the input! We will get started on it this weekend. Since we are in deer season in Texas, we should have some venison/pork sausage soon for the inaugural test run. :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig:
luckieford
Pilgrim

Postby luckieford » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:40 am

For hot smoking, we have a debate occurring about the location of the wood burning stove. My son thinks that we will be able to put the wood burning stove external to the container and be able to pipe in enough heat to bring the box up to temperature. I personally don't think that will happen and feel strongly that the stove needs to be placed inside the container to get the temps we need. Has anyone had any success in piping in enough heat for hot smoking from a heat source located external to the smokehouse? :dont:

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”