Mounting Pit to a Trailer

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

MikeD
Pilgrim

Mounting Pit to a Trailer

Postby MikeD » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:01 pm

What is generally the most economical, but quality, way to turn an existing put into or onto a trailer? My pit is roughly 9' and currently on 6" caster wheel.

I've heard flat bed, boat trailers and just adding an axle (someone suggested a Northern Tools product) and making a tongue with angle iron. Just would it to be mobile and isn't in need of any bells and whistles.
ironwolfmetalworks
Pilgrim

Re: Mounting Pit to a Trailer

Postby ironwolfmetalworks » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:01 pm

i ended up buying a trailer that a broken welder sat on and it worked perfectly and has a 2000 pound capacity

dwilliams35
Pilgrim

Re: Mounting Pit to a Trailer

Postby dwilliams35 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:18 am

I think just build a new one under it is going to be the tops on the quality scale, and pretty good on the economical scale; you can put framing members exactly where they need to be for your pit, locate the axle where it belongs for weight distribution, and not just be stuck with a trailer that was designed for a general overall distributed load rather than a fairly concentrated load that you’re going to apply here. Plus the flexibility on width, axle ratings, etc... if you have a trailer drop in your lap and want to make it work, that’s one thing, but there’s a lot of benefits to building one in my book.

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”