There she blows

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

outlaw
Bandolero

Re: There she blows

Postby outlaw » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:12 am

Interesting. Kind of like a digi Q on steroids. I will be following this thread for updates.
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
rus_bro
Rustler

Postby rus_bro » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:29 am

Thats interesting. The blowers for a WSM or BGE type grill makes it a set it and forget it kinda operation since all of the wood and charcoal need is preloaded. In the big offset, its just to keep the temps consistent across the cooking area, not necessarily make it less work.

So you are putting in just as much work (or maybe more until you get it all figured out), but getting a better result because of it. I like how you roll!!

rb
KCBS CBJ - Smoke On The Bayou BBQ Team, Houston TX - CAPTAIN
bondobill
Bandolero

Postby bondobill » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:14 am

I got a chance Monday afternoon to do another test run.
This time I filled the coal basket 3/4 full with lump. Once the pit hit a temp of 170 I added 2 large splits of cherry. I turned the fan on manual mode at its lowest setting. Pit settled in at 243 within about 15 minutes. A little hotter then I would of liked but it held that temp for better then 2 and a half hours before it started to drop a little. :D
Going give it one more test run before the weekend cook. This time I'm going to go with a little less lump and I large split of cherry to start. Want to see if I can get closer to the 225 mark for the same amount of time.

Bill

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”