Perfect draft BBQ blower ?

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

bondobill
Outlaw

Perfect draft BBQ blower ?

Postby bondobill » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:22 pm

Anyone have any experience with one ?
I got a trailer pit and am wondering if one of these would make it easier to control temp.
This Pit requires constant fire management to control temps and short of making major modifications as in pretty much starting from scratch maybe this blower would help out.
The fire box is mid mounted and way too small I'm quessing 18"x18"x18"
Fire box has a 6" pipe feeding the cooking chamber
Pipe comes in under this heat deflector. I cut the slots in the defector plate to help even out the heat in the chamber. Before I cut the slots the pit had really bad hot spots at the back and ends

Someone on here recommended I lower the exhaust stacks exiting down to the lower grate.
That wasn't possible cause of a rear tray and a front storage bin on the pit so I added these to the inside of the pit to lower the exiting of the exhaust stacks. The modification helped a bunch.

Pit dimensions are 36" x 60".

All in all the pit cooks pretty good now but I'm constantly adjusting the dampers on the fire box to control temps.
On the Perfect Draft website they say the blower works best if you close your exhaust stacks some. That's got me concerned cause I've always have best results flavour wise with stacks wide open.

Thanks for looking :cheers:

Bill
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Re: Perfect draft BBQ blower ?

Postby Chasdev » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:20 pm

Does the left exhaust stack opening reach the lower cook grate surface?
My understanding is running the outlet opening too high will cause the smoke to bypass the meat..
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:10 pm

I'm a total novice when it comes to this kind of stick/offset cooker - - :?: does the fan/blower put air directly onto the fire or does it draw air thru the firebox :?: :dont:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:25 pm

Chasdev wrote:Does the left exhaust stack opening reach the lower cook grate surface?
My understanding is running the outlet opening too high will cause the smoke to bypass the meat..

Left side is the same as the right side pictured.

OUP.....the blower forces air per your settings into the firebox vent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smLFj-vgRug
Perfectdraft1
Pilgrim

Postby Perfectdraft1 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:16 am

The Perfect Draft bbq Blower works like this. The unit has a circuit board that controls a variable speed fan 1-124 CFM of Airflow to your firebox. The temperature is regulated by a temperature probe in your smoker that is connected to The Perfect Draft. You throttle your stack exhaust back about 60-70% to reduce the 02 in the firebox and let the Perfect Draft control the 02 with a consistent flow of air. Giving ur smoker a clean burn. You Reduce your cooking time because the Blower creates a convection flow of heated air in your smoker. You use less wood because you are superheating your firebox which cause less energy from the burning wood. It saves you time and Money and cleaner tasting BBQ .! S.Thibodeaux
Perfectdraft1
Pilgrim

Perfect Draft Bbq Blower

Postby Perfectdraft1 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:54 am

The Perfect Draft bbq Blower is a enduce Draft System for Charcoal grills and offset smokers. Normally offset smokers have a natural draft of air flow which isn’t very efficient. Our Enduce Draft System gives you a consistent regulated Airflow that maintains a excess of 2-3% of oxygen in your firebox. This gives you a clean burn and you taste the flavor of the wood your smoking with. Without the Black carbon over smoked taste u get when you can’t consistently control your Airflow and temperatures. S.Thib

You throttle back on the stack exhaust

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”