My son and I want to learn BBQ & Smoking.

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

bormik USER_AVATAR
Bormik
Pilgrim

My son and I want to learn BBQ & Smoking.

Postby Bormik » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:31 pm

I am from upstate NY. I am a welder by trade. I have always wanted to BBQ. Recently my son saw an offset smoker and thought it would be great for he and myself to build one together as a father and son project. I am thrilled. We have done researched on the internet and came across this forum. We would like to build a reverse flow smoker, but not sure if we should buy plans already designed or just go for it and hope for the best?
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: My son and I want to learn BBQ & Smoking.

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:33 am

First of all, WELCOME, to you and your Son :tup: :texas: COPIED to The Build Thread for you.

You'll find a lot of knowledge and help right here so hang on until the members get a chance to read and answer. Good Luck :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:30 pm

Welcome to the forum.
There are plans out there to buy but you really do not need them. The key to building from the hip if your'e not sure ask questions before you commit to something. I have been building cookers for close to 30 years it gets easier after the first one lol. :lol:
Here is a link to the original pit builders calculator. My email is attached to the help link. I can help from there or here. :D
http://www.feldoncentral.com/bbqcalculator.html
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
bormik USER_AVATAR
Bormik
Pilgrim

Postby Bormik » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:12 pm

Thank you all for your help. This is the first forum I have been involved with, so I am learning. I have been a pipe fabricator for over 30 years. My son is in college to become a chef. He has always enjoyed cooking either inside the kitchen or outside on the grill. He is in Nashville, TN right now doing his externship for college. I have no problem with building a smoker, what I am worried about is designing one. I have used the calculator that has been recommended and this is the calculations to what we want to build. Link to BBQ Pit Calculator My son would also like to put a warming box with this rig.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:24 pm

I looked at your numbers and made a few adjustments.
For the intake do horizontal slides and increase the 5" tall x 2.5" wide to three.
Increase the firebox to 20" square.
Increase the exhaust to 5" 24" tall.
Your firebox to cooker chamber opening can be increased to a 13.5" wide x 6.75" tall half moon. This will allow you to have a 1.5" to 2" grease bridge on the bottom of the opening.
Here is what I came up with.
Link to BBQ Pit Calculator

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
bogiedr USER_AVATAR
bogiedr
Cowboy

Postby bogiedr » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:14 pm

Bormik, welcome to the addiction! You have a great son with excellent ideas, and based on your resume, you will have an outstanding rig in no time, please keep us posted! I can tell you that this is the right place to learn and share information. I joined not long ago after some less than good experiences in other forums and I have to tell you, the Texas BBQ Forum is outstanding! Great folks wanting to share information, encourage one another and just plain fun! Welcome aboard and look forward to your offset design.
:cheers:
Bogiedr
Hit them straight
BogieDr

Kamado Joe Classic
Weber Little Joe
Weber 22.5 Performer
Weber Genesis II LX S-440
Green Mountain Daniel Boone prime
bormik USER_AVATAR
Bormik
Pilgrim

Postby Bormik » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:05 pm

Thanks k.a.m. I hope to get started with hands on middle of July. My son will be coming home then. Is there an advantage to building a reverse flow vs. a standard off-set? I am try to get all my material together. I told him this is going to be a slow process. I want us to take our time and ask questions.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:50 am

I prefer my tuning plates mainly because I like options on grate temps. My big cooker "Bahama Mama" in my signature is a Hybrid by my design. I can actually use her as reverse flow or tuning plates.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”