Project - Cold Smoker

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

AgChef
Pilgrim

Project - Cold Smoker

Postby AgChef » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:35 pm

Hey All,

I've got a project I'd like to begin soon and am looking for any advice and ideas that you all may have.

I acquired a dough proofing box used for making bread and had the idea to turn it into a cold smoker. It has a heating element, pan (used for water to create humidity in its intended use), adjustable heat and a door with gasket and magnet on handle to close securely. There is also a vent at the top as you will see in the pictures.

A couple of questions that I have:

1. I assume I'll need a vent at the bottom to create draw. Is the vent at the top sufficient or will I need to modify and add a smoke stack?

2. Do you think the heating element will get hot enough to create smoke?

Any and all ideas/advice are welcome!

JustinCouch
Outlaw

Re: Project - Cold Smoker

Postby JustinCouch » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:47 pm

That thing is awesome! I can't wait to see how it turns out. I'm no fabricators,but I think I would do a trial run first before any modifications.
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:22 am

Ask Papa Tom, the resident Science Guy round here. He once made a cold smoker outta a cardboard box that was both a hoot and a thing of beauty.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=20962&p=173917&hilit=Ballad+of+papa+Tom#p173917
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
jmcrig USER_AVATAR
jmcrig
Bandolero

Postby jmcrig » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:14 pm

If it were mine, first I'd get an Amaze Tube designed for pellets. I when then find a way to create an air draw to the water pan area without destroying the way it operates now. That would give you the best of both worlds. You would have a cold smoker, and if you ever needed an evap to hold food, you've got it. Once the pellets start, they will smolder, giving very little heat. As for a chimney, do a trial run and watch the smoke. If you find the smoke is the wrong color, existing in places other than the vent, you may need to cut down the intake air or more exhaust air. Remember that stale smoke will ruin your cook/smoke.
Mark Crigler

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”