Gittin Thar

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:00 am

I wonder how the progress is going? Where's the pics Ratty???
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

ratmo USER_AVATAR
Ratmo
Wrangler

Postby Ratmo » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:40 am

Say Chuck, progress is slow rite now. Only thing ive done in awhile on it was paint, an some fine tunin. Has to be the best one ive built so far. I git a lil futher down tha road with it, i'll post some pics.
If,n it aint one thang, its anuther!
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:36 pm

Ratmo wrote:Say Chuck, progress is slow rite now. Only thing ive done in awhile on it was paint, an some fine tunin. Has to be the best one ive built so far. I git a lil futher down tha road with it, i'll post some pics.

Okee dokie...
jest dont ferget bout us here!
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

welder
Pilgrim

Postby welder » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:06 pm

Nice looking smoker. I start on one today at school what size is the opening from firebox to cooking chamber? What is the diamenter of the stacks? I The one we building will have firebox on back side connect to the chamber with 3- 4" pipe what do you think about that ideal?
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:23 pm

Well as concerns the firebox being connected to the cookchamber by largish diamter pipes..will testify if works purty good cuz I got an old welder chum who got one made just like unto that. He got about 3 of em which span the distance at about a 45 degree angle maybe 2' long or so. His cookchamber part set ups a little higher than Ratmo's. He also just got one stack in the middle as opposed to one on each end. Me and the welder who birthed my pit nearly come to blows on that two stack deal. I started out wanting two uprights with a firebox in the middle for grilling with a stack on top of each upright. He claimed if you got widely spaced stacks like that they aint gonna hardly ever both draw the same..blah blah blah. So since he was burning the rods and working cheap we done it his way:) Now this is two different welders. Now if you want to follow the laws of physics and such things why not mount the firebox directly under the cookchamber? Connect with pipes and flappers to control the heat or whutever. Let me know. Thanks. JR pits used to do it thataway. Now they getting fancy seems like.

bigwheel
ratmo USER_AVATAR
Ratmo
Wrangler

Postby Ratmo » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:46 am

The main reason I built this one like this is, I can cook with a pot or skillet on the connecting plate.
the opening between the two was 4"x24". The piece I cut out of the main chamber was lettin in to much heat, so I took the piece I cut out an made three three inch holes in it, then welded back in place. Works like a charm now. This is all 3/8" construction, and I have noticed that I dont have to have as much heat to cook with.
As far as the two stacks, I can cook 10 to 20 degrees hotter on one side or the other, or have the same temps all the way across. Besides that, it just looks cool, lol
ratmo USER_AVATAR
Ratmo
Wrangler

Postby Ratmo » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:51 am

Oh, BTW,,,,,they are 4" stacks :)

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”