And then there were 3....

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Re: And then there were 3....

Postby k.a.m. » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:05 pm

Txdragon wrote:
k.a.m. wrote:If you are expecting quality welds and QC then you should reconsider a lang this is just my opinion though.

Are we talking visual or functional quality? If the welds are sloppy but complete and don't leak, I'm not too concerned. If they are incomplete or crack after a couple uses, that's a problem. To be 100% honest, I despise visible weld seams, no matter how "pretty". I think it adds pure negative appeal to the aesthetics.

On more than one occasion I have read where the weld at the firebox has cracked. One took order of one where the drain was just tacked on and not welded out. I am not saying they are all this way but there are some that leave the shop not ready for the rigors of cooking.
I am a welder so I love a good welds. What scares me is when I see welds that have been ground down for no reason. :lol:
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:36 pm

Laying a nice bead has always amazed me :salut: because mine look like I sewed up a football with a log chain :D
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:32 am

k.a.m. wrote:On more than one occasion I have read where the weld at the firebox has cracked. One took order of one where the drain was just tacked on and not welded out. I am not saying they are all this way but there are some that leave the shop not ready for the rigors of cooking.
I am a welder so I love a good welds. What scares me is when I see welds that have been ground down for no reason. :lol:

Thank you sir! A good reason to give it an inspection first 8) I would HOPE to be able to pick something up from one of the makers near the DFW area, but having one shipped may be a necessity. I will definitely "GRILL" them on acceptance terms and so on, in case I have one shipped and uncrate it to see stuff like you mentioned; tack welded anything, or pigeon poo-esque welds, i'd like to know if the company has any sort of accountability on correcting that.

OldUsedParts wrote:Laying a nice bead has always amazed me :salut: because mine look like I sewed up a football with a log chain :D

Ha! You and me both. I get hurried though and that's what kills me lol.
(Insert witty signature here)
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:26 am

since I've acquired more ?mileage?, I quit getting in a hurry because it always ended up with yours truly, either cleaning up the mess or having to live with the wrong toy/tool/equipment until I it conviently broke or I somehow misplaced it. :D
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
rus_bro USER_AVATAR
rus_bro
Rustler

Postby rus_bro » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:29 pm

TxDragon - how is the hunt coming? Any choices made yet?

rb
KCBS CBJ - Smoke On The Bayou BBQ Team, Houston TX - CAPTAIN
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:30 pm

rus_bro wrote:TxDragon - how is the hunt coming? Any choices made yet?

rb

I'm still in research over these at the time. Hard to find any cook vids from anyone other than the manufacturers :(
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:57 pm

I have found several for Lang, pitmaker, and a couple others I did not mention on this list.. Hmmm.. Decisions decisions :(
rus_bro USER_AVATAR
rus_bro
Rustler

Postby rus_bro » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:08 pm

Txdragon wrote:I have found several for Lang, pitmaker, and a couple others I did not mention on this list.. Hmmm.. Decisions decisions :(

Sounds like a road trip is in order... See these bad boys for yourself... should only be like a 4000 mile trip... Allot of bbq can be found on a trek like that. :rambo:

rb
KCBS CBJ - Smoke On The Bayou BBQ Team, Houston TX - CAPTAIN
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:37 pm

rus_bro wrote:
Txdragon wrote:I have found several for Lang, pitmaker, and a couple others I did not mention on this list.. Hmmm.. Decisions decisions :(

Sounds like a road trip is in order... See these bad boys for yourself... should only be like a 4000 mile trip... Allot of bbq can be found on a trek like that. :rambo:

rb

I am actually within 260 miles of 3 of the big-name makers here, and only a couple hours from the others.
tabs
Pilgrim

Postby tabs » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:15 pm

I have gone through a number of Grills and BBQ's over the years. Starting with a small Hibach long long ago in a different world. Not to digress too far I went through the Weber Kettle, still have the same one 35 years later for hot and quick grilling, the Brinkman H20 Smoker, gone, 35 Gal Drum from Century Blvd in LA, gone, New Braunfels Bandara (verticle) gone, BGE since 2004, a Klose 36 X 20 offset ever lovin stick burner since 05 and this year (20017) a 100000 btu propane Wok burner, thats the only way to wok hay.

So after all of this and so many choices out there to chose from. Lonestar Grillz would be my first choice ifn I had to buy again. Now I havn't seen one in person but from their videos and testimonials, their quality is about as good it gets. There is a lot of thought and little details which is added value in his units, which after having run one you get to appreciate. Back in 05 after lookin around Klose was about at the top of the heap as far as BBQ's are concerned, but now Lonestar pulls away from the pack. I have looked at the Shirleys and like their quality, but it is that Reverse Flow Thingy that I am not sold on. The Shirley advantage is that he has a cabinet style cook chamber instead of the straight pull up drum door, I likes that. Lone Star gives versatility with his Tuning Plates which negates the supposed Reverse Flow advantage. The big thing I would like to have which I do not have now is the Warming Oven. I have thought about running a Vertical again but the food above drips on the food below? Ehh to many choices.

From what I can see at this writing (11/17) Lonestar is going to build a Cabinet style offset smoker similar to the Shirley design? I am waiting with abated breath to see what that looks like. So the question is what would I chose from the Lonestar line up ifn I were to get one today? It would be the 36 X 24 horizontal Offset with Warming Oven, 1/2 inch plate firebox, Ash Tray, Folding front Table, The ultimate would be to add the Verticle smoker then you have it all in one unit. At this stage of my life it really isn't cost effective to do the up grade, so I will just have to make do with my Klose.

But by all means do not screw around with second best, if ya like to do the Q get the best you can afford. It does make a diff in the quality of the product that you turn out.

What I would like to add to my Qing experience is a Santa Maria style grill. For Lonestar they seem to be an after thought. Ifn they made one using Fire brick to hold heat, and an up grade to their grills they would be first choice...I have seen the AZ BBQ and couple of other ones. Maybe then I could retire my Weber Kettle?
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:17 am

Please throw Johnson Smokers into the mix. He has many different models, and will always modify to meet your needs. The build quality is second to none. At least speak with Chad before making your decision.

http://www.johnsonsmokers.com/
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:59 pm

outlaw wrote:Please throw Johnson Smokers into the mix. He has many different models, and will always modify to meet your needs. The build quality is second to none. At least speak with Chad before making your decision.

http://www.johnsonsmokers.com/

I'm really digging their 2x2 vertical.
grandpax4
Pilgrim

Postby grandpax4 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:34 pm

After about 2 months of research - I ordered my Johnson 24 T-Pit today. Added the stainless cooking grates, probe ports and steel casters. Chad is absolutely outstanding to work with. He took me through a series of many questions to better understand my use needs, I did the same with hum, talked for over 30 minutes. I am a backyard weekend warrior and feel like this unit is going to fit my needs great! Shipping is killing me though - 380.00. Thing weighs about 900 pounds. Anyone else ever used this T-Pit, any hints as I anxiously await its arrival?

http://www.johnsonsmokers.com/24-t-pit/

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”