And then there were 3....

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

k.a.m.
Outlaw

Re: And then there were 3....

Postby k.a.m. » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:05 pm

Txdragon wrote:
k.a.m. wrote:If you are expecting quality welds and QC then you should reconsider a lang this is just my opinion though.

Are we talking visual or functional quality? If the welds are sloppy but complete and don't leak, I'm not too concerned. If they are incomplete or crack after a couple uses, that's a problem. To be 100% honest, I despise visible weld seams, no matter how "pretty". I think it adds pure negative appeal to the aesthetics.

On more than one occasion I have read where the weld at the firebox has cracked. One took order of one where the drain was just tacked on and not welded out. I am not saying they are all this way but there are some that leave the shop not ready for the rigors of cooking.
I am a welder so I love a good welds. What scares me is when I see welds that have been ground down for no reason. :lol:
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:36 pm

Laying a nice bead has always amazed me :salut: because mine look like I sewed up a football with a log chain :D
OUP

" Country by choice, Texan by the Grace of God "
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:32 am

k.a.m. wrote:On more than one occasion I have read where the weld at the firebox has cracked. One took order of one where the drain was just tacked on and not welded out. I am not saying they are all this way but there are some that leave the shop not ready for the rigors of cooking.
I am a welder so I love a good welds. What scares me is when I see welds that have been ground down for no reason. :lol:

Thank you sir! A good reason to give it an inspection first 8) I would HOPE to be able to pick something up from one of the makers near the DFW area, but having one shipped may be a necessity. I will definitely "GRILL" them on acceptance terms and so on, in case I have one shipped and uncrate it to see stuff like you mentioned; tack welded anything, or pigeon poo-esque welds, i'd like to know if the company has any sort of accountability on correcting that.

OldUsedParts wrote:Laying a nice bead has always amazed me :salut: because mine look like I sewed up a football with a log chain :D

Ha! You and me both. I get hurried though and that's what kills me lol.
(Insert witty signature here)
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:26 am

since I've acquired more ?mileage?, I quit getting in a hurry because it always ended up with yours truly, either cleaning up the mess or having to live with the wrong toy/tool/equipment until I it conviently broke or I somehow misplaced it. :D
OUP

" Country by choice, Texan by the Grace of God "
rus_bro
Rustler

Postby rus_bro » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:29 pm

TxDragon - how is the hunt coming? Any choices made yet?

rb
KCBS CBJ - Smoke On The Bayou BBQ Team, Houston TX - CAPTAIN
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:30 pm

rus_bro wrote:TxDragon - how is the hunt coming? Any choices made yet?

rb

I'm still in research over these at the time. Hard to find any cook vids from anyone other than the manufacturers :(
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:57 pm

I have found several for Lang, pitmaker, and a couple others I did not mention on this list.. Hmmm.. Decisions decisions :(
rus_bro
Rustler

Postby rus_bro » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:08 pm

Txdragon wrote:I have found several for Lang, pitmaker, and a couple others I did not mention on this list.. Hmmm.. Decisions decisions :(

Sounds like a road trip is in order... See these bad boys for yourself... should only be like a 4000 mile trip... Allot of bbq can be found on a trek like that. :rambo:

rb
KCBS CBJ - Smoke On The Bayou BBQ Team, Houston TX - CAPTAIN
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:37 pm

rus_bro wrote:
Txdragon wrote:I have found several for Lang, pitmaker, and a couple others I did not mention on this list.. Hmmm.. Decisions decisions :(

Sounds like a road trip is in order... See these bad boys for yourself... should only be like a 4000 mile trip... Allot of bbq can be found on a trek like that. :rambo:

rb

I am actually within 260 miles of 3 of the big-name makers here, and only a couple hours from the others.

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”