LSGz 24x40 Offset - Custom w/Mods

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

LSGz 24x40 Offset - Custom w/Mods

Postby txsmkmstr » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:14 pm

So after nearly 10 years of smoking pursuits I finally broke down and ordered what I consider my Dream Pit - all the bells and whistles I would have wanted the very first go-round but didn't know it at the time. In addition, I knew there were things that I would eventually create and didn't want to tear up a brand new pit mounting them. But first - you need to start with the right platform.

After my research I chose Lone Star Grillz to build a 24x40 offset. It's the best size for my needs and where I intended to park it. From there we start adding LSGz farkles.... insulated firebox, gas-assist, larger wheels, folding shelf, ball valve, counterweight - pretty much everything except the ash pan and stainless shelf. A good start for sure but I wanted more. With some doodling on paper and discussions with Chris @ LSG I made some subtle changes as you'll see.

One of the most important items to be was the ability to store the propane cylinder on the shelf under the cook chamber. The cylinder was too tall to fit the stock expanded metal shelf. In similar fashion to trailer pits, a cut-out was made to allow the cylinder to be recessed into the lower shelf. Here's a picture of the pit right after moving into place. You'll notice the stack of plywood, which had to be leap-frogged so the pit would roll on the soft ground. This thing topped out at over 1/2 a ton.

Here's a close up of the propane cylinder mount - notice the expanded metal shelf was replaced with a full sheet of steel. I love the gas assist and have had one on every offset I've owned.

As I mentioned, I knew there were items I wanted to add later. I had LSG add some extra pieces of pipe in various locations to match the exhaust damper hinge material. I also moved the exhaust damper hinge to the far left side of the smoke stack - you'll see why later. First up on my mod list was to fly the Great State of Texas flag. Real Texas BBQ ain't real without a Texas Flag. :mrgreen: You can see the extra pipe above the firebox in the first picture. A carriage bolt was drilled out to accept the "flagpole" and slipped right in.

While I gather up pictures of other mods I'd like to say this is one cooking machine. It comes up to temp quickly for it's size. Temps are quite steady for an offset pit. I'm still learning the finer points of fire/temp management for this particular set up but the smoke flavors have been outstanding, no matter what cut of meat I've tossed on. It's a real pleasure to cook on for sure. :thap:

More pics coming......
Custom LSG 24x40 - 36" Blackstone - (others - R & O FatGirl, ETSC RK-250, Tejas 1628 - all sold)
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Re: LSGz 24x40 Offset - Custom w/Mods

Postby TX1911 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:24 pm

Great looking pit! You'll be happy with it!

But post some more pics so we can be sure. :D
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:40 am

Looks like Northeast :texas: is in for some great "aroma treats" this Holiday Season and 2017 :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:07 am

Great looking pit! Congratulations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Postby txsmkmstr » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:03 am

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

So, one thing I tried to have done at the factory was to match the intake damper handle to the firebox door handle. There were some discussions and concerns about that arrangement making the handle too hot. My concern was knocking a chunk out of my shin after a few wobbly-pops so I went ahead and made my own version.

Using a short piece of all-thread rod, a 3" carriage bolt, some coupling nuts, a handful of regular nuts, washers and what not, I ended up with something like this.

Also, notice how the spring handle has been ground on each end to provide a more perpendicular surface for the mating washers. What you don't see are additional nuts in the very ends of the spring that keep it from being so loose - the diameter of the nuts pretty much match the inside diameter of the spring ends. BTW, the coupling nut closest to the damper is for looks only since the all-thread rod goes completely thru the plate.

An overview of the firebox door shows both handles nicely tucked away and ready for business.

After several cooks I can confirm that there's absolutely no heat issue to worry about. The cool touch spring remain just so.

Next up.... what to do with an old full-size baking sheet. :dont: :dont: :dont:
Custom LSG 24x40 - 36" Blackstone - (others - R & O FatGirl, ETSC RK-250, Tejas 1628 - all sold)
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:27 am

Awesome pit! I have been doing the same thing; trying to select a "retirement" gift, and have decided a higher-end smoker would be better and more cost efficient than say, a Dodge Viper :laughing7: .. I am torn between LSG and pitmaker.
(Insert witty signature here)
chilefarmer USER_AVATAR
ChileFarmer
Forum Star

Postby ChileFarmer » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:47 pm

Very nice pit, watching for smoke and some good eats. I like it. CF :D
OK, get over it, you lost. God bless America

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/ChileFarmer" target="_blank
Lots of Sub folders to.

http://curingandsmoking.blogspot.com/" target="_blank
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Postby txsmkmstr » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:22 pm

One of the farkles I passed on was the LSG ash pan. No doubt it's a thing of beauty but 1/4" steel ends up making a very heavy pan - something I wouldn't want to wrestle with in addition to their newly designed 1/2" fire grate. After fooling around with lining the bottom of the firebox with foil I needed something more permanent.

My first shot was a full size baking sheet with one side cut off. It fit perfectly but I got a little surprise on the first cook - major warping of the pan bottom. Luckily I had an extra pan laying around and came up with v2.0 pictured here.

By notching the side and leaving some stock I was able to clamp some boards and break (fold) the cut edge up giving that side the rigidity to stop the warping. Very little ash is missed as the edges are pretty much side to side and tight against the back of the firebox. Lightweight, easy to remove, and the shiny surface reflects a nice glow of the burning logs at night.

The 1/2" grate that LSG now offers is outstanding but be sure to bend your knees when taking it out. :whiteflag:

Lots more coming - stay tuned. :stir:
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Postby txsmkmstr » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:56 am

One of the deciding factors in going with an LSGz product was the door fit. The videos were certainly compelling and visiting them in person bore out the level of precision on the door flange. Running thermo probe wires through the door flange would not be wise so I requested a threaded inlet be installed on the side. This is the same size inlet as the Tru-Tel gauge so I could add another if I wanted. Otherwise I'd simply put a threaded plug in the port and be done with it.

But wait..... remote thermometers always get in the way sitting on the front shelf. I needed something to hold the transmitter out of the way, not get too hot, and still transmit a good distance. I remembered having the side cut-off from the baking sheet above and ideas began to take shape. With a little bit of cutting, bending and another drilled carriage bolt assembly, I came up with this adjustable tilt stand for my Maverick.

Using a standard cork, I drilled a hole to pass the probe wire thru and it tucks into the threaded port perfectly. If I decide to run two probes in the future I'll split the cork in two halves, file two grooves for the probe wires and press fit the whole assembly back into place. While I was tinkering with that I couldn't help but notice the end of the exhaust damper handle needed some love too. A wallered out lug nut pressed in place added just the right amount of bling.

The stand works great and does not get hot - even with the polished aluminum rod attached to the stack. It's a good thing I have some more of the baking sheet edging left in case Santa brings a Thermoworks Smoke - I'll need new shelf. :mrgreen:

Still more ahead......
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:12 am

Very nice! It is always good to fine tune the way you want things but for the price of something like this, you'd expect it to be next to perfect. I have been weighing out options for a pit from one of the bigger name makers. I have narrowed it down to 3. One of which is much higher than my initially intended price range, but I don't think I will be disappointed in its performance. However, I would still expect near perfect for a custom cooker over 1500 bucks.
(Insert witty signature here)
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:25 pm

That remote thermometer holder is just plain slick!

txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Postby txsmkmstr » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:52 am

One of the last pieces of the puzzle involves my smoker location - sitting under a covered patio. This works great, especially when the weather turns nasty but if you don't take proper steps the patio cover turns nasty. Even burning a very clean fire (which the LSGz can do) you will soot up the underside pretty quickly. The resulting smoke stain is hard to remove so I needed a heat/smoke deflector of some sort.

I made one for my cabinet smoker where the exhaust stack terminated about 18" from the ceiling and never did get any stains so I figured something similar would work but it also had to "match" the rest of the pit rather than appear to be an afterthought.

I found a nice piece of 1/2" round bar from a discarded shepherds hook. Doodled a couple of designs with AutoCAD and started bending and shaping. Grabbed another carriage bolt and this time welded the rod to the bolt for insertion into the last custom pipe piece I had LSGz install. Remember that first baking sheet that warped when using for an ash pan? Turns out it made a nice flat deflector plate that slid into a slot I cut in the rod end. A little drilling and tapping for a set screw - some high-heat touch up paint - and I ended up with this..........

Just for grins, I cover the plate bottom with a sheet of standard duty aluminum foil and toss after the cook. This keeps the deflector plate looking nice when not in use. My original intention was to install this assembly as needed during cooks but it turned out to look like a factory option so I simply leave it in place at all times.

For now, this completes my customization of the pit. I still have some more mods and tweaks that I think you'll appreciate. When I get them completed I'll post up here. I'm certain I'll need a project or two during the holiday time.

Doing it over again I'd add a couple more pieces of pipe here and there for other possible mods. If nothing else, I can remove any of these current items since they're not permanently attached. Thanks again for everyone's kind words. :thap:
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:19 pm

Hey, I've got one of your Macgyver baking sheet masterpieces :)

txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Postby txsmkmstr » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:26 pm

bsooner75 wrote:Hey, I've got one of your Macgyver baking sheet masterpieces :)

LOL.... I was waiting for you to chime in. :laughing7:
rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Postby RWBTEX » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:01 pm

Sure is a nice rig.
SMOKIN' LONESTAR BBQ TEAM
on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SmokinLonestar/
Hasty Bake Legacy
Pitts and spitts 24x48 stick burner
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle