Smoke chamber

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

JustinCouch
Outlaw

Smoke chamber

Postby JustinCouch » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:07 pm

I have seen offset smokers with vertical chambers opposite the fire box. Will that work with a reverse flow. I just got access to a scrap pile at a pipeline shop. The guy said he had 24 inch diameter pipe. Does anyone have input on the vertical chamber. It seems to me that it would only work in conventional offset style where the chamber is your exhaust.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Re: Smoke chamber

Postby k.a.m. » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:11 pm

If you build the vertical over the firebox and connect it to the chamber it will act as a cooking chamber and exhaust on a reverse flow cooker.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:17 pm

What is the benefits of the vertical chamber? I think that I would be asking more of my poor welding skills if I attempted it unless it was the best thing since sliced bread.
smokeybrisket
Pilgrim

Postby smokeybrisket » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:31 pm

I'm not a expert in smoker design but in my mind in a vertical smoker as long as your heat enters in bottom center of your chamber you should get even heating your heat will rise evenly upward vs having to travel across a horizontal chamber as heat moves across its going to want to rise givingcreating cold spots. I know reverse flow fixes a lot of the heat differences and keeps a more even chamber and if you know your hot and cold spots you can use that when cooking difference size meats. I personally like the vertical it's probably more preference than anything. I'm in the middle of building a gravity feed charcoal smoker and my heat is entering at the most center part of my chamber plus I will have a water pan that will act as a heat sink and help disperse heat evenly.
20161103_192943.jpg
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:54 am

JustinCouch wrote:What is the benefits of the vertical chamber? I think that I would be asking more of my poor welding skills if I attempted it unless it was the best thing since sliced bread.

In my opinion it is not all that great. I have one on Bahama Mama that I have a slide to shut off the heat/smoke too and I have never opened it. I do use the cabinet as a warmer for my cooked meat though as it stays right at 150° to 200°
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
kenrockwall
Pilgrim

Postby kenrockwall » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:51 am

JustinCouch wrote:I have seen offset smokers with vertical chambers opposite the fire box. Will that work with a reverse flow. I just got access to a scrap pile at a pipeline shop. The guy said he had 24 inch diameter pipe. Does anyone have input on the vertical chamber. It seems to me that it would only work in conventional offset style where the chamber is your exhaust.

i was wondering the same thing, then I found one near me at a "trailer building shop" - ( http://bigtextrailerworld.com/rockwall/ ... g_id=48196 ). They have an adjustable damper from main cooking chamber to smoke box but not sure how well that would work. I know that LANG has reverse flow pits and use the vertical above the fire box as a "warmer" area and some have a damper on them between the firebox/vertical.
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:16 am

well that sucks. my contact on the pipe was a bust. I went to pick up the so called perfect piece and it ended up being about 8 foot long about a inch thick and probably 4 foot diameter. the thing looked like it weighed as much as my truck. so no go there. back to frankenpit with the air compressor.

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”