Self insulating my fire box

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Self insulating my fire box

Postby Txdragon » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:29 am

So I was bored one day and surfing the web and stumbled across some info that got me thinking; "Maybe I can insulate my fire box all by me lonesome." I searched a few options and came up with http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-ceram ... n/=14rkihc
I am sure I can line the box with strips, kinda like laying floor boards but my question is this: How do I make them stick? How would I adhere these to my fire box?
I am thinking just lining the inside so it's gonna be a chore cleaning it up, but.. Any ideas?
(Insert witty signature here)
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Self insulating my fire box

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:38 am

Hmmm, interesting that the Adhesive Max Temp is only 300 F :?: Just my $0.02 but it might be better to use the same product without the adhesive backing and adhere it with a higher temp adhesive ???? :dont:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:48 am

OldUsedParts wrote:Hmmm, interesting that the Adhesive Max Temp is only 300 F :?: Just my $0.02 but it might be better to use the same product without the adhesive backing and adhere it with a higher temp adhesive ???? :dont:

Yeah, I found the strips to use that are good up to 2,300 degrees but I need some stickum for it. I looked around and found some JB weld extreme heat, which is good to 2,400 deg. So with a little more search, I believe I answered my own question.. LOL!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:07 am

Cool, sounds like you got it goin' yer way - - - the only thing I was concerned about was the adhesive backing being between the tile and your good JB stick'um :scratch:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:11 am

OldUsedParts wrote:Cool, sounds like you got it goin' yer way - - - the only thing I was concerned about was the adhesive backing being between the tile and your good JB stick'um :scratch:

I can hypothesize that the ONLY difference betreen the 2 sides is the self stickum backing and I can expose that side to the fire and apply the JB to the side that does not have it. The exposed sticky should burn off with ease after the first blaze is set.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:15 am

:tup: good luck
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:22 am

OldUsedParts wrote::tup: good luck

That doesn't sound positive.. :(
finatic USER_AVATAR
Finatic
Bandolero

Postby Finatic » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:25 pm

Don't see how that'll work without covering the insulation with a layer of steel and fully welding all seems.

Why do you want to insulate your firebox? Properly insulating your firebox is going to make it much more efficient- meaning it'll run on a much smaller fire. If you don't have adequate room in your firebox it's going to make your cooker run a lot hotter. It may be a lot of work for some disappointing results.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:04 am

Txdragon wrote:
OldUsedParts wrote:The exposed sticky should burn off with ease after the first blaze is set.

So you are going to take a chance of exposing your meat to ceramic fibers that may brake down during the cook?
This is not a viable option in my opinion.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:12 am

k.a.m. wrote:
Txdragon wrote:The exposed sticky should burn off with ease after the first blaze is set.
So you are going to take a chance of exposing your meat to ceramic fibers that may brake down during the cook?
This is not a viable option in my opinion.[/quote]

:whiteflag: Just fixing the Quote soze it read correctly :laughing7: :D :lol:
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:07 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:
k.a.m. wrote:
Txdragon wrote:The exposed sticky should burn off with ease after the first blaze is set.

:whiteflag: Just fixing the Quote soze it read correctly :laughing7: :D :lol:[/quote]
How was my statement broke OUP?

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:32 pm

k.a.m. wrote:How was my statement broke OUP?

:laughing7: :D :lol: it quoted me saying sumptin I dent'd - - - see your first post :laughing7: :D :lol: no biggie just funnin :salut:
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:08 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:
k.a.m. wrote:How was my statement broke OUP?

:laughing7: :D :lol: it quoted me saying sumptin I dent'd - - - see your first post :laughing7: :D :lol: no biggie just funnin :salut:

Ahhh. Okay. :D I quoted you quoting him lol. :lol:

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:46 pm

k.a.m. wrote:So you are going to take a chance of exposing your meat to ceramic fibers that may brake down during the cook?

I would imagine with a heat rating of 2,300 degrees, I should be on the safe side of the fence against these failing like that. BUT, this is why I am putting them on the outside rather than interior. I had a brief time to give it more thinking brain power and said, "omg, was I REALLY plannning on these inside the box?!"

Finatic wrote:Don't see how that'll work without covering the insulation with a layer of steel and fully welding all seems.

This is why I am putting them on the outside rather than interior.

Finatic wrote:Why do you want to insulate your firebox? Properly insulating your firebox is going to make it much more efficient- meaning it'll run on a much smaller fire.
Methinks you answered that question yerself, Fin!

Finatic wrote: If you don't have adequate room in your firebox it's going to make your cooker run a lot hotter. It may be a lot of work for some disappointing results.

I anticipate I would use about 50% less wood to achieve and maintain my desired cooking temp. I believe if I keep my cook chamber uninsulated, I shall see no difference in variation (in the cook chamber) than I would without an insulated firebox.
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:47 pm

Txdragon wrote:
k.a.m. wrote:So you are going to take a chance of exposing your meat to ceramic fibers that may brake down during the cook?

I would imagine with a heat rating of 2,300 degrees, I should be on the safe side of the fence against these failing like that. BUT, this is why I am putting them on the outside rather than interior. I had a brief time to give it more thinking brain power and said, "omg, was I REALLY plannning on these inside the box?!"

Finatic wrote:Don't see how that'll work without covering the insulation with a layer of steel and fully welding all seems.

This is why I am putting them on the outside rather than interior.

Finatic wrote:Why do you want to insulate your firebox? Properly insulating your firebox is going to make it much more efficient- meaning it'll run on a much smaller fire.

Methinks you answered that question yerself, Fin!

Finatic wrote: If you don't have adequate room in your firebox it's going to make your cooker run a lot hotter. It may be a lot of work for some disappointing results.

I anticipate I would use about 50% less wood to achieve and maintain my desired cooking temp. I believe if I keep my cook chamber uninsulated, I shall see no difference in variation (in the cook chamber) than I would without an insulated firebox.

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”