New Ugly Barrel Pit

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

New Ugly Barrel Pit

Postby JamesB » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:32 pm

The story started several years ago. Was swapping lies over on another board and the talk turned to cooking brisket directly over the coals like they do down 'round Austin and them parts. There was a couple of fellas discussing the virtues of this method... One was named Jon and one Bigwheel... Ain't heard from Jon in ages and I heard that the Bigwheel fella is still hang'n out on some of these boards... as part of the tale, it was mentioned that some successful comp cooks where, or had at one time or another performed this direct cooking method in something as simple as an old upright barrel... so I cobbled together an old upright barrel and ya know what? That method worked pretty good... Still does for that matter.

Now, neither I nor any of the other characters previously mentioned have laid claim to inventing this type of barrel cooker (but I know of someone who thinks they did). Fact is though that it works, it's easy and it can be made on the cheap... They have recently become very popular on a couple of other boards. Usually refered to as a UDS. I'm sure that most folks here are familiar with them, but if not...

My original barrel. Temp control was as easy as shoveling some coals from the old Weber being used as a burn pit into a little door on the bottom of the barrel... time consuming and ate a lot of wood, but it worked and probably the most authentic as far as trying to duplicate the brick pit cooking they down south, but without the brick pit.
Picture at http://bennett-family.com/pics/pits/james/uds/

Well after several years of use, that original barrel is out of service. I picked up a couple of new, 55 gal. unlined, open head steel barrels and with the ideas gathered from various sources, I bolted together this contraption.

This one is pretty much airtight like my WSM and very easy to control the intake etc... runs on charcoal and chunks/small splits. All it took was a few $, some black pipe and fittings a few bolts and a couple of cooking grates.

Here is my new toy. The pipe with the ball valve is the air intake. Since it's up high, I don't have to bend over to make air adjustments... don't wanna be spilling my beer ya know...
Pictures at http://bennett-family.com/pics/pits/james/uds/

After washing it inside with dawn disk soap and hot water, I broke 'er in with several hours of burning charcoal and then slapped on one of those $.99lb racks of spare ribs from Minyards.... can't remember the last time I cooked only 1 rack of spares...
Picture at http://bennett-family.com/pics/pits/james/uds/

I'm still learning on this one... seems to cook mucho fast even at the lower (250°) temps than my last barrel. must be cause it's still all shiney on the insude... Over cooked the thin side of this rack a bit... Either tomorrow or early next week, I'm gonna see how a brisket comes out on it...

Sorry this got so long winded!
James.
Last edited by JamesB on Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:44 pm

Well the ribs look good......
tarde venientibus ossa....
dj USER_AVATAR
DJ
Chuck Wagon

Postby DJ » Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:40 am

Yuppers, Good Lookin Ribs!
Good Lookin Smoker as well. Built a bunch of standing drum pits back in the FFA days....never saw one like this....Good Post.
dj
http://djstexasstylebbq.com
Caldwell, Texas Native
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:13 am

That looks simple enough to make, I see drums on eBay from the DFW for about $5 area every now and then, and keep thinking about it.

I already have 2 more I need to add to my arsenal after the 1st, so not sure I should make one yet.

Do you use just one cooking rack or can/should you add a 2nd?

And not seeing one in person before...what are you using at the bottom for coals? Does the body lift off the bottom? I don't see a door, so guessing it is not something you can add coals to, but you get pretty long burn times out of em right?

Let us know how that brisket turns out!
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:09 am

Well that looks like a highly kewlish cooker and can tell them ribs turned out outstanding just by looking at em. Good job. Ya know aint heard from old Jon in a coon's age myself. Often wonder whut happen to that fella. Think he was some kinda famous country singer. May have seen him on the Grand Old Opry and not known it.

bigwheel
mel USER_AVATAR
mel
Bandolero

Postby mel » Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:26 am

nice looken pit (but im sure a few more cooks will take care of that) :lol:
MELs We have you covered
www.mels-bbq-covers.com
made in the USA

1-800-569-3592
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:09 am

Kewl smoker, James! Looks like it can turn out some good food!

I'm surprised at the size of the air intake. I'd expect either larger pipe or several pipes. Somehow a 1.5-2" pipe doesn't seem like it'd let in enough air to me.

bowhnter wrote:That looks simple enough to make, I see drums on eBay from the DFW for about $5 area every now and then, and keep thinking about it.

Where are you seeing these barrels, Mike? I haven't been thinking about it much, but after seeing this one and another one, I'm starting to seriously think about a winter project.
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:20 pm

You can buy barrells all day long at Foreman's General Store 3800 Blk. Hwy 26 in Colleyville. Think they 13 bucks each. Food grade original contents. They have a removeable lid so you dont have to worry about cutting out the top or bottom if you want that part removed. I got one specially designed to set down over the top of my electric Brinkmann. Just put handles on it yesterday to lift it on and off mo easier..also drilled some holes around the top edge so it dont collect rain water and maybe let out a little smoke.

bigwheel
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:58 pm

I thought ebay, but I can't find them now (locally) or maybe it was craigs list...but it look like BW has you setup with a place.
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:02 pm

I too have a source for the barrels if anybody wants them, don't know the cost but I'm guessing in the $10 area. These are food grade barrels that contained corn syrup, soy sauce, molasses, vanilla etc... They have clamp on lids. Same source has plastic barrels with removable lids that are great for keeping your fire stuffs clean and dry. I am in Oak Point but ya prolly don't know where that is, think east of Denton on 380.
tarde venientibus ossa....
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:07 pm

bowhnter wrote:That looks simple enough to make, I see drums on eBay from the DFW for about $5 area every now and then, and keep thinking about it.

I already have 2 more I need to add to my arsenal after the 1st, so not sure I should make one yet.

Do you use just one cooking rack or can/should you add a 2nd?

And not seeing one in person before...what are you using at the bottom for coals? Does the body lift off the bottom? I don't see a door, so guessing it is not something you can add coals to, but you get pretty long burn times out of em right?

Let us know how that brisket turns out!

I've seen the drums on Ebay, but they where clsoed heads and I didn't want to have to cut off the top.

This drum currently only has one grate, but you could add a second no problem. I've got some expanded metal on the way that I'm going to roll and make a charcoal basket out of. Right now, I'm using an old weber type grate that is standing on 4 bolts to keep it off the bottom of the drum and then the charcoal ring out of my WSM. Total burn timeyesterday on 1 load of Rancher charcoal was 12 hours. Problem with this type of cooker is that to empty the coals, you either gotta tump it over or vacuum it out. I'm looking for something like an old steel deep dish pizza pan to use as an ash catcher...

James.
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:11 pm

TX Sandman wrote:I'm surprised at the size of the air intake. I'd expect either larger pipe or several pipes. Somehow a 1.5-2" pipe doesn't seem like it'd let in enough air to me.

Right now it has 2 1" intakes. The tall one on the pipe with the ball valve and one of the other side at the bottom that I can just put a cap on. Only one burn on this drum so far, but it held 235° - 250° for right at 12 hours... and that was with just 1 intake partially open. I just let it burn after I took the ribs off to see how it would do.

James.
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:21 pm

bigwheel wrote:You can buy barrells all day long at Foreman's General Store 3800 Blk. Hwy 26 in Colleyville. Think they 13 bucks each. Food grade original contents.

Gonna have to check out these barrels... Does ya know if they are lined? The lined barrels would need to be burned out before use, but that is a good price.

James.
smoked USER_AVATAR
Smoked
Cowboy

Postby Smoked » Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:24 pm

Looks good James..

You plan on putting some legs on it..??
Ken
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:48 pm

Smoked wrote:Looks good James..

You plan on putting some legs on it..??

No legs. you could if ya wanted... Did think about putting wheels on the next one.

James.

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”