Smoker Modification Questions...

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Smoker Modification Questions...

Postby nascarchuck » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:58 am

Here are a coupla questions that I posted on "another forum" that has alot of "CharGriller Experts". Just don't know where the experts are when ya need 'em! :lol: Should had known to just post it here! :goof:

I need to raise the grate in the firebox on my CG because the ashes are smothering the fire.

Is that what this mod is accomplishing? I am at work so I am not able to look at mine, but from the pics, I don't think that this is raising the grate, is it? http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/view ... hp?t=13840

Also, the last picture in the OP has the large basket in use. I have noticed I can maintain 225* or so for about 4 hours by using a single or even double layer of unlit coals below 2 full chimney's.

If I were to get a basket like in that mod, I am assuming this should maintain the temp for a longer period of time, correct?

Is 2 chimney's of lit coals to much? Can I back down to one?

One more question. I have the stack wide open and the (I have gone blank!) dohickey on the side wide open as well to maintain the 225*. How can I get this hotter if needed?

I have alot of mesquite sitting out back that I got a year ago with Bob that I haven't even used. I need to get on the ball and use it!
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Re: Smoker Modification Questions...

Postby bowhnter » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:14 am

nascarchuck wrote:Here are a coupla questions that I posted on "another forum" that has alot of "CharGriller Experts". Just don't know where the experts are when ya need 'em! :lol: Should had known to just post it here! :goof:

I need to raise the grate in the firebox on my CG because the ashes are smothering the fire.

Is that what this mod is accomplishing? I am at work so I am not able to look at mine, but from the pics, I don't think that this is raising the grate, is it? http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/view ... hp?t=13840 Yes, that raised the grate
Also, the last picture in the OP has the large basket in use. I have noticed I can maintain 225* or so for about 4 hours by using a single or even double layer of unlit coals below 2 full chimney's. 4 hrs is pretty good. When I had mine about 2hrs was max. .
If I were to get a basket like in that mod, I am assuming this should maintain the temp for a longer period of time, correct?

Is 2 chimney's of lit coals to much? Can I back down to one? It depends on the weather too. I think I used to only light one chimney full.

One more question. I have the stack wide open and the (I have gone blank!) dohickey (Air intake ) on the side wide open as well to maintain the 225*. How can I get this hotter if needed? Maybe more coals, and make sure the air intake is facing into the wind,

I have alot of mesquite sitting out back that I got a year ago with Bob that I haven't even used. I need to get on the ball and use it!

I will also email you a smoker mod document that gives a few more mods you can make.
A baffle between your SFB and cooking chamber, extend your smokestack down, moving your thermometer.

I didn't do any of these exactly like it shows, but it will give you ideas...and yes, be sure to use non painted and non-galvenized steel.

PM me your email address
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
antaean7 USER_AVATAR
antaean7
Cowboy

Postby antaean7 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:29 am

That is a great mod. I think I will do that to my Lyfe Tyme Pit. I have to push and spread the ashes now from under the grade to allow more air flow.

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”