Custom pit builder in or near Houston?

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Re: Custom pit builder in or near Houston?

Postby k.a.m. » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:24 pm

El Toro BBQ wrote:So I just ordered a grill from Gator Pits. I have first hand seen the quality of their work and it is good. I'm concerned, however, that I can get the same quality elsewhere for a cheaper price. I'm not trying to be cheap....just get the most for my dollar. Compared to other Houston based grill manufacturers, is there anything that sets gator pits ahead of other grill fabricators? I've seen a similar product from Pits by JJ.

Either cooks well and both are quality cookers Jose just sells for less. Gator pits are no better in my opinion than Pitts by JJ.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
rockinar
Pilgrim

Postby rockinar » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:58 am

El Toro BBQ wrote:So I just ordered a grill from Gator Pits. I have first hand seen the quality of their work and it is good. I'm concerned, however, that I can get the same quality elsewhere for a cheaper price. I'm not trying to be cheap....just get the most for my dollar. Compared to other Houston based grill manufacturers, is there anything that sets gator pits ahead of other grill fabricators? I've seen a similar product from Pits by JJ.

Both are great pits and get the job done. But Gator is better quality. They are built like a brick shoot house. JJ, nice pits and I would have no issue buying one. But not the same quality.
ʹ89hog USER_AVATAR
'89HOG
Pilgrim

Postby '89HOG » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:42 pm

I've owned a JJ's Pit for 3 years and I've really enjoyed it. I've discovered a few things I wish they had done a little differently which would have made my pit much better.
1. I wish the smoke stack didn't start over the cooking area. It would be better if the opening was on the end (not over) the cooking area. The only drawback is that the smokestack will always have more build up of gunk which will inevitably fall on your food.

2. The lid doesn't have the edging on the top part only the sides and bottom. Although there is no smoke escaping through there, it would help keep the rain out.

3. I wish he used a different hinge system for the lid on top of the square firebox. The hinge on mine has warped just enough that the lid doesn't seal all the way. I weigh it down with a couple of bricks and that seems to do the trick, but I shouldn't have to.

Other than these 3 things, it is definitely a VERY well built pit and I know it will last me forever. It cooks evenly and seems to be pretty efficient using about 3/4 of a big bag of wood for a 12 hour brisket (250 deg). I'd still recommend JJ's pits.

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”