1000 gallon tank smoker!

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

bobbergone USER_AVATAR
bobbergone
Wrangler

Re: 1000 gallon tank smoker!

Postby bobbergone » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:34 pm

I have not given that much thought. Thank you, I should probably consider this safety feature. This is why you guys are the pro's and I'm the rookie.

Sent from my iPad using TapatalkNew to the forum scene. But I got this far with no help.

I am starting a huge project and looking for any help I can get.
I run the weld shop a Washington Family Ranch. A Younglife camp. I have set sail on building a BBQ trailer that will feed up to 400 kids with an occasional 800 guest event. I have acquired a 1000 gal propane tank and a set of axles. This will be from the ground up pit.

Plans, pictures, suggestions, ideas, all welcome. I want to get this done right. I have built other small smokers, and even a tar kettle for road maintenance. So the idea of making my own burners and trailer lay out. Is not the hard part. I want the fire box and the tank and the shelving to work to its best ability.

Am I barking up the right tree, thanks for any help that you may have.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:10 am

bobbergone wrote:I have not given that much thought. Thank you, I should probably consider this safety feature. This is why you guys are the pro's and I'm the rookie.

I wouldn't say "Pro's" but a few of us have seen our fare share of mistakes and mishaps around cookers.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
bobbergone USER_AVATAR
bobbergone
Wrangler

1000 gallon tank smoker!

Postby bobbergone » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:50 am

I would rather see them than do them. I don't have anything close to go look at to get ideas, so it is a design as youbuild. I only want to build once with out having to make changes. With re 3/8" wall tank it will take a while to heat, but it will also cook more even when it reaches temp. Draw back is that the doors are heavy. What are your thoughts on having a large magnet to hold the door once open in leu of a mechanical latch?

Sent from my iPad using TapatalkNew to the forum scene. But I got this far with no help.

I run the weld shop a Washington Family Ranch. A Younglife camp. I have set sail on building a BBQ trailer that will feed up to 400 kids with an occasional 800 guest event. I have acquired a 1000 gal propane tank and a set of axles. This will be from the ground up pit.

Plans, pictures, suggestions, ideas, all welcome. I want to get this done right. I have built other small smokers, and even a tar kettle for road maintenance. So the idea of making my own burners and trailer lay out. Is not the hard part. I want the fire box and the tank and the shelving to work to its best ability.

k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:21 am

After the fact but keep it in the back of your mind if you ever build another. On a tank that size you could easily bring your top cut down 10" and lose only minimal cooking space. this not only lightens the door but also allows you to reach it at a much higher opened space.
As far as the magnets I would not do that. I would rely on a mechanical latch. You can have an internal slide latch that activates when the door is opened. The bar is attached to the door along the edge it rides on a bar that is attached to the chamber. The bar has a notch that engages on the rod it rides on when the door is opened to that point.
I hope this helps. :D

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
rodcrafter USER_AVATAR
Rodcrafter
Wrangler

Postby Rodcrafter » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:14 pm

If this was my project I would make the doors swing like cabinet doors. Square the front of the CC up and build the doors out of 1/4" plate or 3/8" to match the rest. The square door type gives easy access and huge opening.

Making memories.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:54 pm

Rodcrafter wrote:If this was my project I would make the doors swing like cabinet doors. Square the front of the CC up and build the doors out of 1/4" plate or 3/8" to match the rest. The square door type gives easy access and huge opening.

Making memories.

If he has room on the trailer to work flat doors that is a good option Rodcrafter. I am not sure if he is working the cooker from the ground or on a lowboy.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
bobbergone USER_AVATAR
bobbergone
Wrangler

1000 gallon tank smoker!

Postby bobbergone » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:16 pm

[img]//images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/25/97fa83234ab5e7b2280741ad3e2e6097.jpg[/img]

Hinges on.
Last edited by bobbergone on Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobbergone USER_AVATAR
bobbergone
Wrangler

1000 gallon tank smoker!

Postby bobbergone » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:41 pm

Rodcrafter you got me thinkin. I am leaning heavy on your idea. It won't cost that much more, but what a blessing they would be over the lift up doors. Stay tuned it just may happen.
Last edited by bobbergone on Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobbergone USER_AVATAR
bobbergone
Wrangler

1000 gallon tank smoker!

Postby bobbergone » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:50 pm

Rodcrafter you win the thought of the day. I will be cutting off those hinges and boxing out the front so I can have the cabinet style doors on the front. I will send pictures when it's done.
bobbergone USER_AVATAR
bobbergone
Wrangler

1000 gallon tank smoker!

Postby bobbergone » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:23 pm

Hinges are gone
Last edited by bobbergone on Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:06 am

What are my options for grilling grates? SS is so very expensive.

k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:24 am

Guest wrote:What are my options for grilling grates? SS is so very expensive.

I use regular #9 x 3/4" flat expanded metal. I frame out with 1" x 1" x 1/4" angle iron.
The only reason to justify SS grate prices is if you were in an area where your local HD required it and then it would probably only be required in restaurant or vending situations.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
bobbergone USER_AVATAR
bobbergone
Wrangler

1000 gallon tank smoker!

Postby bobbergone » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:02 pm

I will use regular expanded metal. I can always make SS shelves later if I need to. Thanks for all your input and help, this is really turning out to be a fun project.
bobbergone USER_AVATAR
bobbergone
Wrangler

1000 gallon tank smoker!

Postby bobbergone » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:25 pm

Getting ready to square it out.
bobbergone USER_AVATAR
bobbergone
Wrangler

1000 gallon tank smoker!

Postby bobbergone » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:17 pm

ImageImageImage

Thanks Rodcrafter that was a good idea. Much safer smoker now and it increased my shelve.

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”