Old Refrigerator Smoker?

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

A-C-E
Pilgrim

Old Refrigerator Smoker?

Postby A-C-E » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:16 am

New to the site and I want to build a smoker with an old refrigerator. I found a couple old refrigerators on craigslist, but before I purchase one I was looking for some advise. I think I can find it here.

I want to build this with a fire box mounted on the side, any ideas on where I could purchase just a fire box?

And a idea I had was making it a dual type, with the ability to also use an electric burner. The reason I wanted to do this is to make it easier to control the heat when I don't have a lot of time to monitor the fire.

I watched a couple videos on YouTube on making this type of smoker, if any one has any advise I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
Ken
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Re: Old Refrigerator Smoker?

Postby Okie Sawbones » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:51 am

There are three or four videos on Youtube on the subject. That is all the help that I can give.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:58 am

We did that at the deer camp one time with an old discarded frig. :idea: However, I must admit that the craftmanship was lacking. We chimney vented it with a double bit axe but it worked on that Bambi for ONE overnight's cook. :whiteflag: :texas: Good Luck and when you "git'er done" please post up some pics or maybe even post'em during the build :?:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
A-C-E
Pilgrim

Postby A-C-E » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:24 pm

Thanks
EmbersFate
Pilgrim

Postby EmbersFate » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:55 pm

Hi A-C-E,

Might be able to help here- We currently have an old refrigerator smokehouse, nothing crazy. The side box was made from poured concrete slabs to resemble a pit box. One of the poured concrete slaps had a hole for the pipe to connect the box and fridge together (5 inch). I was then able to find a cast iron door, used small concrete screws to connect everything together. All said and done it cost me about 25 bucks to make.

An easier method (more expensive) is to purchase a single camp burner (cabellas) and connect the gas line with a propane tank. Use copper pipe and insulation so the gas line doesnt burn. Then take another pipe and feed it right where the gas comes out of the line. This will be your air tube so the flame doesnt go out. You then buy a cast iron box to put wood in and that's it. You control the heat, plus dont use as much wood as possible. My other smoke house (one used frequently) has the same setup. Best thing I ever bought...

Good luck!
...You give me food, I give you smoked food back...

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”