Help. Not getting a smoke flovor

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

pony express USER_AVATAR
Pony Express
Outlaw

Help. Not getting a smoke flovor

Postby Pony Express » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:25 pm

I borrowed a n ofset smoker to do a cookoff next weekend because my wife will also be competing and using my (her) pit.

Did a test cook yesterday to get timings right and was amazed at the smoke flavor that was in the meat.

borrowed pit

30" 3/8 pipe 7' long
big square fire box
tuning plates

mine
24" 3/8 pipe 7' long
20" round fire box
tuning plates

You normally cant even tell my pit is going because the is no hint of smoke. I ALWAYS get a smoke ring

borrowed pit had a light grey/blue smoke

What could be the difference ?
Charmglo gasser,
New Braunfels offset smoker
Custom trailer pit offset smoker

Git-er done
GIG EM
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Re: Help. Not getting a smoke flovor

Postby k.a.m. » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:58 am

Could be that your cooker is drafting a lot more than the borrowed cooker, meaning the heat/smoke is traveling under your plates at a faster rate and leaving the cooker.
On my comp cooker, I do my ribs and brisket on the opposite side of the firebox, my plate gaps are about 1.5" wide on that end. The firebox side gaps are anywhere from 1/4" to 1/2", if I cook a brisket on the firebox side it will produce a nice smoke ring but the flavor may be a bit milder as far as smoke goes because of the draft and the meat cooking more from the radiant heat off the plates.
I am not sure what temps you cook at but If I am running above 275° I only have a heat signature at my exhaust, I start my my briskets at around 240° to 260°. This slows the cookers draft and allows the smoke to stay longer in the chamber.
I hope this helps. :D
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
pony express USER_AVATAR
Pony Express
Outlaw

Postby Pony Express » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:34 am

In order for the heat and smoke to leave my smoker it MUST come thru the plates. As far as draft SPEED, that is a variable that I have never herd discussed before.

I to cook brisket at the far end of the pit opposite the fire box. Chickens are cooked right at the fire box.

I have known for a long time that i wasnt geting much smoke flavor but assumed that it was about the same as everybody else. Untill Saturday when I got a first hand taste .

When I open my pit doors there does seem to be smoke hanging around there. Does the dryness of the interior of the pit make a difference?

If I was to use a water pan would that make the smoke "stick" to the meat better?

I was really ipress with the smoke flavor and want to get it from my own pit also
Charmglo gasser,
New Braunfels offset smoker
Custom trailer pit offset smoker

Git-er done
GIG EM
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:43 pm

If a cooker has a small exhaust then the draft in the cooker is a lot slower than one that has a larger exhaust, the slower draft can work against you by causing creosote build up in the cooker.
Where is the exhaust on the borrowed cooker positioned?
Is it up high or down at grate level? If it is low then it could be that the heat/smoke is lingering longer because of the way it has to travel leaving the cooker.
In my opinion water pans are not the answer to more smoke flavor.
Do you have pics of both cookers, I would like to see if I can see any differences that may jump out at me.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”