using high temp red silocon

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

odb1967 USER_AVATAR
odb1967
Pilgrim

using high temp red silocon

Postby odb1967 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:17 pm

ok pit masters I got a question for you, my Oklahoma Joes smoker was leaking smoke every where, I saw where some guys were using high temp red silicon so I figured I would give it a try, I ran a good bead around the smoke chamber and laid plastic wrap over then closed the lid, I let it dry and pulled off the wrap then trimmed off the extra as best I could, it don't look pretty but I need to know how safe its ganna be for the food, kind of scared to use it now, any thoughts or ideas!!!!
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Re: using high temp red silocon

Postby BluDawg » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:11 pm

I'd love to help you but you disregarded my advice when I told you how to go about sealing up the leaks so you had a true metal to metal seal when you asked 1 week ago viewtopic.php?f=68&t=24338#p199949. So it is pointless for me to give you my opinion now. However I am sure you will eventually get an answer.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
odb1967 USER_AVATAR
odb1967
Pilgrim

Postby odb1967 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:11 pm

BluDawg wrote:I'd love to help you but you disregarded my advice when I told you how to go about sealing up the leaks so you had a true metal to metal seal when you asked 1 week ago viewtopic.php?f=68&t=24338#p199949. So it is pointless for me to give you my opinion now. However I am sure you will eventually get an answer.

Actually sir I tried your method first [I`m not very mechanically inclined or what ever the word for that would be], anyway I ended up with my smoke chamber lid in worse shape than it was, I bent it worse, but thanks anyway!
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:47 pm

:violent: you don't tweek the door you tweek the opening :whiteflag:
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Postby RWBTEX » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:31 pm

High temp silicone is fine in any color. I use red on my firebox and black on my doors, dont worry just cook.
SMOKIN' LONESTAR BBQ TEAM
on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SmokinLonestar/
Hasty Bake Legacy
Pitts and spitts 24x48 stick burner
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
PK Grill for steak comps and fajitas at home
and then some
odb1967 USER_AVATAR
odb1967
Pilgrim

Postby odb1967 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:09 pm

RWBTEX wrote:High temp silicone is fine in any color. I use red on my firebox and black on my doors, dont worry just cook.

thanks friend, just needed to know if it was safe for cooking.....
odb1967 USER_AVATAR
odb1967
Pilgrim

Postby odb1967 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:14 pm

BluDawg wrote::violent: you don't tweek the door you tweek the opening :whiteflag:

I would be sure the person new what they were doing before giving that advice, I almost screwed my lid up for lack of knowledge but I appreciate the help though
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:28 pm

No problem - use it on all three of my eggs. Lots of folks use it to attach rope gaskets on their eggs.

Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:21 am

At one time Permatex red RTV held a ANSI food certificate. Permatex dropped it years ago for various reasons, I have been told none of which were being dangerous around food. The red is the only one that held the certificate, none of the other colors did.
Because fireboxes can and do reach temps over the rated flash point of the RTV I will not use it on my fireboxes. I do use it to hold cooking chamber gaskets in place and sealing leaky cooking chamber doors as you did with the plastic wrap. ( I prefer the high temp black for this)
Bottom line is if the RTV is in a place that temps can exceed its safety temp as far as gassing off then don't use it, use a gasket that is designed for the job.
I hope this helps. :D
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
odb1967 USER_AVATAR
odb1967
Pilgrim

Postby odb1967 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:24 am

k.a.m. wrote:At one time Permatex red RTV held a ANSI food certificate. Permatex dropped it years ago for various reasons, I have been told none of which were being dangerous around food. The red is the only one that held the certificate, none of the other colors did.
Because fireboxes can and do reach temps over the rated flash point of the RTV I will not use it on my fireboxes. I do use it to hold cooking chamber gaskets in place and sealing leaky cooking chamber doors as you did with the plastic wrap. ( I prefer the high temp black for this)
Bottom line is if the RTV is in a place that temps can exceed its safety temp as far as gassing off then don't use it, use a gasket that is designed for the job.
I hope this helps. :D

yes sir and thanks for the insight :salut:
dub'
Cowboy

Postby dub' » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:02 am

A proper nomex (or somesuch material) gasket will last oh so very much longer
than anything you can squeeze out of a tube. They even come with pressure sensitive adhesive backing nowadays. Much less messing with it later.
odb1967 USER_AVATAR
odb1967
Pilgrim

Postby odb1967 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:59 pm

dub' wrote:A proper nomex (or somesuch material) gasket will last oh so very much longer
than anything you can squeeze out of a tube. They even come with pressure sensitive adhesive backing nowadays. Much less messing with it later.

not sure what that is but I`ll look into it if you will give me some directions
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:31 pm

If you try the Nomex (available on Amazon), try the version without the adhesive backing. Comes off too easily. Install with 3M spray adhesive - spray into a cup and brush it on.

Second cook after installing Nomex on XL BGE
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:20 pm

Not to be contrary, but there's also the school of thought that says if it leaks smoke, just throw in more wood...my Rosebud leaks a bit, it only adds to her rebellious "coolness" and doesn't much affect the cooking. Just my two shillings worth.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
odb1967 USER_AVATAR
odb1967
Pilgrim

Postby odb1967 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:58 pm

Boots wrote:Not to be contrary, but there's also the school of thought that says if it leaks smoke, just throw in more wood...my Rosebud leaks a bit, it only adds to her rebellious "coolness" and doesn't much affect the cooking. Just my two shillings worth.

I`ve only used my Oklahoma Joe one time, never smoked anything before only grilled on charcoal or gas...my wife bought me this smoker for fathers day, boy was I ready to get my smoke on, I seasoned it up and it leaked every where but I didn't let that stop me, that weekend I got it smoking good, temp was bout 250 so I put on some ribs and chicken, bout 4hrs later we had the worst tasting food, tasted like kerosene I was told the wood had smoldered or something any way I thought I would try to seal up some of the leaks and try it once more before I put it on craigslist..I'll admit I don't no the first thing about using a smoker but I tried :flamer:

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”