Firebox question

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Tony_Wornick
Pilgrim

Firebox question

Postby Tony_Wornick » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:29 pm

I'm working with a welder on a smoker build and I have a question about fireboxes (I'm a ceramic cooker, this is my first pit - so be gentle with me).
I noticed most fireboxes are square, but my welder was gonna do a round one, so thought I would check here and see what is preferred (looks like square)
and what the difference is.
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Re: Firebox question

Postby DATsBBQ » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:38 pm

Tony_Wornick wrote:I'm working with a welder on a smoker build and I have a question about fireboxes (I'm a ceramic cooker, this is my first pit - so be gentle with me).
I noticed most fireboxes are square, but my welder was gonna do a round one, so thought I would check here and see what is preferred (looks like square)
and what the difference is.

Why the trip to the Dark Side? :roll: :lol: 8)
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
Tony_Wornick
Pilgrim

Postby Tony_Wornick » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:50 pm

I thought it was all the dark side 8)
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:37 pm

A Square Box has more volume> more volume= more air= cleaner fire + you can do different stuff like put a DO of Beans on it to cook or do a Grill top door. My present pit is round the next one will be square. Hey it aint the welders Pit It's yours he works for you! If you want Square then you Get square, he needs to accommodate or get fired. JM2C!
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
Tony_Wornick
Pilgrim

Postby Tony_Wornick » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:20 pm

I let him know I want square, it just wasn't sorted out and he was thinking round.
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Postby txsmkmstr » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:22 pm

I like the square firebox - it makes preheating your splits a lot easier. Gas-assist (you are considering that, aren't you?) mounts easier and cleaner. Speaking of cleaner - you need to clean out the ashes more thoroughly with a square box to stay ahead of rust/corrosion issues.

Both work and if you settle on square then make it insulated too. Good luck with the build.
Custom LSG 24x40 - 36" Blackstone - (others - R & O FatGirl, ETSC RK-250, Tejas 1628 - all sold)
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:20 am

While I prefer a square firebox round works just as well in my opinion. A square firebox allows you to manipulate the size to fit your needs such as ground clearances. A round firebox for the most part is more cost effective material wise. Personally I am not a big fan of insulated fireboxes especially in our area, now if your gonna insulate the whole cooker to stop all the heat loss from the cooking chamber that is a different story.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”