Custom brik BBQ pit with smoker

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

roddy69
Pilgrim

Custom brik BBQ pit with smoker

Postby roddy69 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:18 am

Dear BBQ friends,

I am new to this forum and I hope to get some great info regarding BBQ. Here in the uk it seems we have not grasped the same mentality regarding BBQing as our weather is pretty Grimm. I run several holiday houses in very near proximity and for so long everyone has been asking to have the possibility to have a BBQ while on holiday. For years I have bought cheap kits that were pretty much binned after a season. Also we host hunting group to come and shoot in the winter. This include lunch and dinner, where I mainly am in charge of the meat when it comes to food. We use anything from Venison to pork and beef. I mainly do slow roast as it is easy to leave it over night and forget about it until it is ready the next day. It is a great success among the guest and staff.

Now I have decided with boss man to up the game and look into a outside kitchen/BBQ/smoker. It would be great to have a fix communal area for the holiday guests to do there BBQ and for me to do some slow smoking BBQ in the winter. I have bought a second hand professional gas cooker, it has 6 gas rings and oven which I would like to incorporate into the design. I am lucky to have on site a great builder/ welder, so I could potentially have this guy build the entire project.

I am very new when it comes to designing something like that, it seems not to be rocket science but surely there must be some golden rules when it comes to make a smoker and open BBQ. I am sure this is a topic that has been answered many times but it would be nice if any of you guys could put me in the right direction.

Just to give the scale. Largest number of people staying at one of our holiday let would hold 18 people and during the hunting season I should be able to smoke for at least 40 to 50 people per day at one time. This is a pretty significant size setup!!!

I guess I am a little uncertain how to design the indirect heat source from the fire box/smoke box and air flow for the smoker. I am looking at a vertical system in order to keep the grill bbq separate at all times. Further I intend to have 4x2.5 ft grill as a central focal point and have the smoker on the right with a work top, wood and coal would be store bellow it. On the left of the grill an other work surface and followed by the gas cooker. The entire area is going to be roofed with a back wall this will serve as a splash back and it will also hold the extractor hood.

Anyway looking forward to hear from you guys.

Greetings from sunny Cornwall

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”