question about large pits

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

crownbbq USER_AVATAR
CrownBBQ
Pilgrim

question about large pits

Postby CrownBBQ » Mon May 19, 2014 5:49 pm

Hi, It's been quite awhile since I posted here, so I am going to do the polite thing and come in and ask for help. :D I bought a project smoker just off a picture, was told it was a 250 gal tank. For the price they was asking I jumped on it no questions asked. (couldn't have bought the stripped down trailer for the price) anyway, I get it and realize it is a 500 gallon. 4ft wide... 8ft long. It has a ton of potential, but I guess my question/concern is how much fuel is it going to take to run a monster like this? I don't want to buy 10 bags of charcoal and a rick of wood everytime I use it... Thanks for any help.
Never look at life through a windshield to see whats coming......look at life through the rear view mirror and watch it try to catch up.

http://www.crownbbq.com
npayne1 USER_AVATAR
NPayne1
Rustler

Re: question about large pits

Postby NPayne1 » Mon May 19, 2014 6:20 pm

I use a 500 gal smoker and I cook around 250* for up to 20 hrs and might use the equivalent of 2 bags of the western wood mini logs. To cut down on the fuel, try insulating the firebox.
crownbbq USER_AVATAR
CrownBBQ
Pilgrim

Postby CrownBBQ » Mon May 19, 2014 6:30 pm

Thanks..That doesn't seem too bad at all.
Never look at life through a windshield to see whats coming......look at life through the rear view mirror and watch it try to catch up.

okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Mon May 19, 2014 6:34 pm

If the smoker doesn't have them, add tuning plates as well. Helps to even out the heat and cut fuel consumption a bit.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
crownbbq USER_AVATAR
CrownBBQ
Pilgrim

Postby CrownBBQ » Mon May 19, 2014 9:21 pm

Okie Sawbones wrote:If the smoker doesn't have them, add tuning plates as well. Helps to even out the heat and cut fuel consumption a bit.

Hadn't thought about that.......thanks

crownbbq USER_AVATAR
CrownBBQ
Pilgrim

Postby CrownBBQ » Fri May 23, 2014 6:04 pm

So I've been out tinkering with this thing, and have about decided it is just more smoker than what I need or intended to buy. I think I am just going to sell it and buy one a little smaller. My question is this though...as BBQ people, would you rather buy one as it is so you can make it what you want? Or would I be smarter to go ahead and finish it out and then try to sell it?

garzanium
Rustler

Postby garzanium » Fri May 23, 2014 6:13 pm

If you got it for a good cost like you said, I would invest into some minor tweaks, especially sanding and painting to make a nice profit. Tons of folks get into it, impulse buy the biggest nicest pit(guilty:grin:)..or, I can see a bbq joint looking for more capacity.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk 2
crownbbq USER_AVATAR
CrownBBQ
Pilgrim

Postby CrownBBQ » Fri May 23, 2014 8:51 pm

garzanium wrote:If you got it for a good cost like you said, I would invest into some minor tweaks, especially sanding and painting to make a nice profit. Tons of folks get into it, impulse buy the biggest nicest pit(guilty:grin:)..or, I can see a bbq joint looking for more capacity.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk 2

Your 100% correct on the impulse buy. I can clean it up a little and do some tweaks and then sell it hopefully for enough to get one a little smaller.. I was just thinking about how some people might would want to finish it out "their way" thanks for the input.

boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Fri May 23, 2014 9:31 pm

I think this one has a lot of potential, you have good bones to start with, big firebox, big chamber big long boat trailer with a narrow open beam and a lot of length (think easier to back up without jackknifing, but lots of area to build on onboard storage and implements on a lightweight trailer). If it were my rig and I was in at a good price, I would go talk to a couple of local welding shops and get a price on simply getting a full bore sandblasting and finishing out the firebox. Once it's clean and naked, you can rattle can paint the whole thing yerself (I am very pleased with the 2000 degree Rustoleum I finished mine with and the 2000 degree VHT clear finish) and have a working cooker that you can either keep or sell to a build out artist. Cost? Purely guessing, but based on what I did to Rosebud which is smaller, I am guessing up to around $200 for the blast, and around 10-12 cans of the Rustoleum to get the basics done, plus the welder's cost to finish out the firebox. He'd probably give you a package price, just make sure you peg him on the paint temp rating. I gotta think there are still enough old welder's around the Black Giant in Paris down to Tyler and Kilgore that you can get a decent deal. Just my two cents worth.

If you think that's too much headache to take on, PM me your dicker down price, I am intrigued.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
crownbbq USER_AVATAR
CrownBBQ
Pilgrim

Postby CrownBBQ » Sat May 24, 2014 4:32 pm

Boots wrote:I think this one has a lot of potential, you have good bones to start with, big firebox, big chamber big long boat trailer with a narrow open beam and a lot of length (think easier to back up without jackknifing, but lots of area to build on onboard storage and implements on a lightweight trailer). If it were my rig and I was in at a good price, I would go talk to a couple of local welding shops and get a price on simply getting a full bore sandblasting and finishing out the firebox. Once it's clean and naked, you can rattle can paint the whole thing yerself (I am very pleased with the 2000 degree Rustoleum I finished mine with and the 2000 degree VHT clear finish) and have a working cooker that you can either keep or sell to a build out artist. Cost? Purely guessing, but based on what I did to Rosebud which is smaller, I am guessing up to around $200 for the blast, and around 10-12 cans of the Rustoleum to get the basics done, plus the welder's cost to finish out the firebox. He'd probably give you a package price, just make sure you peg him on the paint temp rating. I gotta think there are still enough old welder's around the Black Giant in Paris down to Tyler and Kilgore that you can get a decent deal. Just my two cents worth.

If you think that's too much headache to take on, PM me your dicker down price, I am intrigued.

Thanks for the very useful information and advice!!! The sandblasting will be my only real expense, I have a welder and while I am not a pro I have built a couple small smokers that haven't fell apart yet. :) The metal won't be a really big cost either, so I guess I will pretty it up and finish it out, then try to sell it for enough to buy a smaller one. At least that's the plan, but we all know how plans can go. Thanks for the help guys

crownbbq USER_AVATAR
CrownBBQ
Pilgrim

Postby CrownBBQ » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:18 pm

well..I thought I should update my post since it's been a while. It's been a slow go, partly because of money..mostly because of time, and a lot due to the little break I had to take to get 3 stents put in my heart, but that's a different story. Door on the firebox with a damper installed under the door. Both handles put on the doors, counter weights and a LOT of grinding and fixing what the previous owner didn't take the time to do. Oh, also cut down the chimney pipe and added a damper to it. I still have a lot to do to it, and still think it is way more smoker than I need, but we are getting closer!! More updates as I get it looking a little better.

egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:50 pm

Three stents is certainly a wake up call - gaodd luck with the stents and the pit.

Triple bypass here but really cleaned up my act.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
crownbbq USER_AVATAR
CrownBBQ
Pilgrim

Postby CrownBBQ » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:47 am

egghead wrote:Three stents is certainly a wake up call - gaodd luck with the stents and the pit.

Triple bypass here but really cleaned up my act.

Thanks...cleaning up my act also. Hope you are doing well

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”