Smokepistol

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

probbq USER_AVATAR
ProBBQ
Wrangler

Smokepistol

Postby ProBBQ » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:41 am

Hi, is there anyone who uses or has used one of these?

www.smokepistol.com

If you have, any thoughts?
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:13 am

I have not or ever seen one. But I have used pellets a couple times in a foil pouch and did not think the smoke flavor was there as with real wood chunks.
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:21 am

It's kind of like a smoke generator that Bradley & a couple others use on their electric smokers. Their's use little hockey pucks that burn. They also sell just the smoke generator. I guess it work good on an electric or a gas smoker, but it seems like a waste on a charcoal smoker where you ccan just put wood chunks right in the fire. It might be handier on the elec or gas than a pan of chips or a foil pouch. :D :D
Jim
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:53 am

Those little hockey pucks are pricey too. Have to use food grade binders lest you get poisoned.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
burnt food dude USER_AVATAR
Burnt Food Dude
Bandolero

Postby Burnt Food Dude » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:04 pm

La Caja China is now reccommending the smoke pistol to infuse smoke in your roasted food.
"All who wander are not lost.

Sometimes they just can't remember where they parked their car
."

Da Dude's new blog
dub'
Cowboy

Postby dub' » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:58 pm

Burnt Food Dude wrote:La Caja China is now reccommending the smoke pistol to infuse smoke in your roasted food.

...and I could saw off the roof of my Explorer and then it'd be just like a pickup...
<boggle> Why not just buy a WSM (or two) instead?
probbq USER_AVATAR
ProBBQ
Wrangler

Postby ProBBQ » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:53 am

Guys we're looking at using it for cold smoking, as an add on to our existing units..... so I was just looking for some feedback on them.
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:32 am

For cold smoking, I would think they would work just fine. :D No real heat involved to produce the smoke. :D :D
Jim
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:35 am

Well for cold smoking I think its purty hard to beat a Wally World one eyed electric hot plate and a pie pan with a chunk or two. For hot smoking as the gizmo is shown attached to the Brinkmann Gourmet model...would seem a bit redundant as all you got to do is throw a few chunks in the firepan on that deal. Only possible use I could envision might be on a gas grill where there was no system in place to smolder any chunks. Looks like a good strategy to part yups from their gold visor cards..and on a continuing basis if they continue to buy the little wood byproduct cylinders.

bigwheel
probbq USER_AVATAR
ProBBQ
Wrangler

Postby ProBBQ » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:56 am

"Looks like a good strategy to part yups from their gold visor cards..and on a continuing basis if they continue to buy the little wood byproduct cylinders. "

Sounds like a good product to me 8)
dub'
Cowboy

Postby dub' » Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:57 am

Like was sed.
I can get completely cold smokin - total apparati - for around $20
cardboard boxes are free.
pistol, schmistol.
Why would you saw a hole in a perfectly good $200 Caja China?
The whole point behind chineebox cookers is that they can burn pressure treated or rolled newpaper or cow patties or poison ivy and still turn out good pig.
if ya wanna smoke,buy a smoker-hammerin' nails with a screwdriver just ain't smart.
probbq USER_AVATAR
ProBBQ
Wrangler

Postby ProBBQ » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:08 am

Dub... I don't have to buy a smoker, I manufacture the critters. I was just looking for some feedback on the smokepistol, as a lot of are customers are wanting something more than "a cardboard box" that they can use to cold smoke.
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:11 am

It would prob be good for smoking up some Spam.
:lol:

bigwheel
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:23 pm

ProBBQ wrote:Dub... I don't have to buy a smoker, I manufacture the critters. I was just looking for some feedback on the smokepistol, as a lot of are customers are wanting something more than "a cardboard box" that they can use to cold smoke.

I've always wanted to make Dry & Semi Dry sausage but the book ( The Sausage -Making Cookbook by Jerry Predika)I have on it says:
Most of the smoking will be cool smoking for a long period of time, as with dry sausage not more than 24 hrs at 90*F or until the sausage turns a rich amber color.....then you will be ready to air-dry the sausage in a cool, clean place for one to six months. A temperature of 40*F or below is necessay.

I can't get Einstein to settle in a temp that low unless it is near zero outside. And I don't have a spare fridge, and if I did, don't know if there would be enough air flow.

Guess my point is, even if this gadget worked in your cookers, the second half of the equation is problematic at best for most folks.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:31 pm

:
Most of the smoking will be cool smoking for a long period of time, as with dry sausage not more than 24 hrs at 90*F or until the sausage turns a rich amber color.....then you will be ready to air-dry the sausage in a cool, clean place for one to six months. A temperature of 40*F or below is necessay.

I can't get Einstein to settle in a temp that low unless it is near zero outside. And I don't have a spare fridge, and if I did, don't know if there would be enough air flow.

Guess my point is, even if this gadget worked in your cookers, the second half of the equation is problematic at best for most folks.[/quote]

I had a similar situation where I had a bunch of pear trees and a big crop. The experts said to pick the pears as soon as the tiny white speckles on the pears turn black and put them in 40* storage until nearly ripe then sell. This prevents the gritty texture common to pears. I had a big chest freezer and took a thermostat and a relay and rigged the thing to control AC to the freezer around 40* put the thermostat, pears and a 7" computer fan in the box. Worked like a champ for zero dollars thanks to my junk box.
tarde venientibus ossa....

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”