My poor ol CG...

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

My poor ol CG...

Postby nascarchuck » Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:20 am

is very nasty inside. I got some paper towels and wiped down the inside the best that I could with them.

How are you CG owners (and others) cleaning your grill out?
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:31 am

Usually a hose for the kettle after a few cooks. My poor old gasser, very rarely, but she *really* needs a deep cleanin' *bad*!
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:38 am

Use some degreaser-simple green or the like-then hose it out real good. A small fire to dry it out. Then re-season(wipe down with oil) and let it the fire burn for a couple hour. :D :D
Jim
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:39 am

Use some degreaser-simple green or the like-then hose it out real good. A small fire to dry it out. Then re-season(wipe down with oil) and let the fire burn for a couple hours. :D :D Ready to go. :D
Jim
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:36 am

like Jim said. I use a grate cleaner that works well......

Jim, do you have any problems with mold in your spicewine in between long cooks???
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:57 am

SC, I did at first. Now I do it one of two ways and both work well. I drain the water pan while it's still hot, It dries out the inside and then just wipe out the residue in the water pan the next day or if I wait til the next day to drain and clean, I use about 10-12 briquettes of hot charcoal in the fire box to dry out the inside. The other thing I found was not closing the stacks all the way and leaving the firebox vent open alittle also helps. :D That little air flow keeps any condensation from forming inside. :D :D
Jim
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:57 am

OSD wrote:SC, I did at first. Now I do it one of two ways and both work well. I drain the water pan while it's still hot, It dries out the inside and then just wipe out the residue in the water pan the next day or if I wait til the next day to drain and clean, I use about 10-12 briquettes of hot charcoal in the fire box to dry out the inside. The other thing I found was not closing the stacks all the way and leaving the firebox vent open alittle also helps. :D That little air flow keeps any condensation from forming inside. :D :D

I keep the stacks all the way open but keep my doors closed. I also drain all the water out of the water pan and clean all the junk out but allow it to air dry before I roll it back in the garage.

I just happened to open the door to see inside but didnt open it all the way and saw a little near the water pan. I'll probably keep the door cracked and allow for better circulation. It's in my garage where it doesn't get continual air flow. So far it doesn't look that bad and Jay mentioned it would happen if you keep it closed up. Oh well, nothin a little bleach and high heat won't kill! :D
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:15 pm

Toxic Mold in your cooker :shock: :shock: :shock: Might have to rethink my plan 8) :wink:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:23 pm

Aint quite sure whut is a CG but if it some sorta of meat cooking device I aint never seen anything of that nature which could stand up to a hard spanking from a propane flame thrower. Either it is flammable or maybe not inflammable..I aint sure which is which..but if it cant burn it cant hurt ya. My Uncle Jim used to have one which run on regular gas and ivory snow which he used to drive the Japs outta them caves on Okinawa. It will make them come out. He is the one who got shot in the foot by a Jap sniper whilst relaxing on the fender of a Sherman Tank reading a funny book and having a Slow Poke sucker. That be back in the Big War of course. WW II for the young whuppersnappers. Give it a hard spanking.

bigwheel
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:22 pm

CG = CharGriller.

Well, last night they were giving a slight chance of rain so I decided to clean the CG. I used Simple Green and cleaned the gunk out real good. Then I used a couple of printing plates from work and lined the bottom of the grill, oiled her down good and fired her up for a good seasoning.

I bet the coals had been in about 10 minutes and that slight chance of rain turned into a downpour that was so heavy that I could hardly see the CG from the kitchen window. And that lasted a good while too!

Anyway, my CG is clean again!
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:51 pm

Now the fun begins. :D :D Gettin' it dirty again. :lol: 8)
Jim

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”