controlling temp.

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

antaean7 USER_AVATAR
antaean7
Cowboy

controlling temp.

Postby antaean7 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:47 pm

I have to ask, is there a "rule of thumb" when it comes to controlling the temp, or fire in an upright pit? Since there is a damper at the top of the stack of the up right, and a damper at the fire box. Which is aimed at what? I am learning as I go with this, but it I am having a hard time finding an answer to this. I thought that the damper at the firebox would control the fire, since it would control the amount of air coming in. I also understand that it depends if there is a breeze or not. I hope this made sense. Any help?
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:33 pm

Well generally...you have to control your temps by the size of the fire. I have heard many who would testify otherwise..but come to find out they all full of caca. Leave you exhaust wide open and try to keep a clean burning fire by manipulating your intakes. Sometimes this even require the firebox door be ajar. Si? Now if you got a super high dollar pit made by Jamie Geer...you can control the temps with the stack..but I aint never messed with one of them so aint sure whut is going on there. Supposedly a person can do a full cookoff on half a bag of Kingsford and two small logs. Who knows?

bigwheel
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:43 pm

BW hit it on the head. :D Once you have a clean burning fire, closing or opening the intake will control how hot and fast the fire will burn which will inturn raise or lower the temp in the pit. :D The stack should stay all the way open. :D
Jim
antaean7 USER_AVATAR
antaean7
Cowboy

Postby antaean7 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:53 pm

I have tried soooooo many combos of the above. I usually leave the exaust wide open and try to control the fire with the damper of the fire box. i usually have a good size fire going. But, the only way I have gotten the temp to rise is put a good amount of charcole on the fire. I am using a Lyfe Tyme pit. I have even tried adding a box fan to feed the firebox to get it hotter, that helped, but I was still not happy. It will only stay just under 200 in the upright. Everyone keeps telling me I should not even be using the upright until I master the barrel. During the burn in is the only time I have had the upright above 200. I am going to change the thermos around and have a few inside the pit tomorrow to check again on the thermos.
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:54 pm

Well yeppers thinking you getting good advice here. Stay out of the upright till you get the swing of the horizontal. Consider tbe upright a warming device. Now you get a good scald on a brisket and get er wrapped and leave it in the upright for a few hours or half a day or whutever ....you got the cat's meow in my book. It a real hospitable enviroment for some tasks..otherwise plan on rotating stuff like unto the pendulum on a clock. I always go from left to right. Clockwise if you will. Or is that counter clockwise? I aint quite sure. The good news is it work just as well going the other way. It just mo cornfusing to the operator. Dont never jump from clock/counter wise in mid stream. It like trying to change hosses in midstream. I write it down somewhere if it was me. A short pencil beats a long memory any old day.

bigwheel
scotty da q USER_AVATAR
Scotty Da Q
Cowboy

Postby Scotty Da Q » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:05 pm

Attaboy Jeff... Good advice again.
Regards,
Scotty
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:19 pm

I know it's been mentioned in other threads, but have you ever taken the thermos out of the smoker and checked them? Most can be calibrated to read right if they are off. Just because they are new doesn't mean they are reading right. Here is a link that explains how to do it. :D

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/thermotest.html
Jim
xxfubarxx
Rustler

Postby xxfubarxx » Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:19 am

I'm going with OSD , check your thermos. I had a heck of a time getting temps right. But after reading here it helped a world of difference. And do leave the stack wide open and adjust with the fire box. However, last weekend I did have a small problem with temps. I had to use a bigger log than I wanted (no way to cut it down) and it was very dry. I put it in and it ignited pretty good on 1/2 of it and I could not get the temp to drop for anything. I misted, then squirted, then opened the upright to let the heat out. I had everything closed and could not get it to simmer down. I think I may have put a 2 litter bottle of water on it off and on trying to get it right with no fire box vent open at all. I ended up scooping out some coals to get the temp down and put them in a bucket. I guess it's trial and error and alot of doing what ya gotta do. Next time I know to use manageable size logs and prepare before hand.
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:57 am

I went back and looked at the pics of the fire you had built with charcoal when you were seasoning the pit. Are you using charcoal or wood splits for your fire?? In the pic there was whole pieces of charcoal under the fire grate. this will cause the air not to flow under the fire grate and it won't burn as hot. Also in that pic the amount of charcoal wasn't all that much in there, you would need more for a cook and the charcoal wasn't completely grayed over. Maybe not enough air ?? and not a big enough fire?? If you are going to use charcoal, you might want to get a charcoal basket for the firebox. I had one made for the lang I was cooking on. The baskets really help. Maybe all it needs is a little bigger fire burning hotter. Just some things to watch and try. Let us know how it goes. :D :D
Jim
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:17 pm

As was earlier said, calibrate your thermometers!
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
antaean7 USER_AVATAR
antaean7
Cowboy

Postby antaean7 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:10 pm

OSD,
I remember those pics. I did take those pics right as I started the fire. I use Charcoal as the base of the fire. I add wood sticks to the fire. Now I do try to keep coals from under the grade. So the air can travel under it. BUT, like right now, I started the fire at 10:55am, and had to add more coals to the fire at 12:03pm. The ashs had fallen under the grade and now blocking the air flow. The fire seems to be burning hotter now, and the temps are higher as well. I know it doesnt make sense but that is what is happening. I added the meat at 11:30. I plan at 1:30 to wrap the brisket (4 lbs, checking inside temp) and the ribs. on the ribs I will cook them for an hour wrapped and then another hour un-wrapped. As for the brisket, I think I will try leaving the brisket wrapped for two hours ( total of 4 hours) and then un-wrap the brisket checking inside temp, and cook the remaining un-wrapped
How that sound? AM I headed in the wrong direction? I just wanted to try something different. :scratch:
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:22 pm

Sounds good. :D That's part of the fun, learning how the smoker likes to cook. :D :D
Jim
antaean7 USER_AVATAR
antaean7
Cowboy

Postby antaean7 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:26 pm

Here are a few pictures of the ribs when I took them off after 2 hours at 200-220 and wrapped them.
ImageImage
I have pulled them off the pit after 1 hour wrapped, the meat and bone were just separating with little effort. I still have the brisket going.
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:02 pm

Can only testify you was cooking higher than 220. The meat dont tend to climb the bone like that till you get the heat up. Now if you cooking on a R2D2 type cooker the bones was hanging over the edge of the water pan maybe? Them cliff hangers tends to take a little pounding cuz they getting the unhindered unbridle fury of the fire. Just guessing of course.

bigwheel
antaean7 USER_AVATAR
antaean7
Cowboy

Postby antaean7 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:24 pm

OSD,
I checked the thermo's with the water boiling test. Both Thermo's would not quit reach 200 degrees. So they are way off on temp's. I am going to go to the web sites you told me about. THANK YOU so much for the help you gave me today.

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”