controlling temp.

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:32 pm

Glad I could help. :D :D Yep, those ribs look like the temp was way high. :roll: It was good talking to you. :D
Jim
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:34 am

antaean7 wrote:OSD,
I checked the thermo's with the water boiling test. Both Thermo's would not quit reach 200 degrees. So they are way off on temp's. I am going to go to the web sites you told me about. THANK YOU so much for the help you gave me today.

Just an FYI, on the websites, there is a box to fill in a number (either a zip code or your local barometric pressure). Once entered, a number will be provided that indicates the boiling point of water at your local. Calibrate to that number.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:48 am

I've noticed that both Einstein & Roma, since on the onset of higher temps, are a bit more stubborn about dialing in at 250. Seams they either want to run in 220s or at 265. Could it be that Costco Lump I bought recently?
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:45 pm

It might be the lump :dont: Do you still have any of the lump you were using to compare? I notice down here when it gets hotter outside the cookers act a little different. I think it has to do with the air density. JMHO :D
Jim
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:04 pm

Well just wish everybody could have a bowel movement and quit being so anal on the temp gauges. The old one Mississippiie x 3 thang works just as good and aint so stressful or costly. We might need the rope and hawg knife on this deal. :lol:

bigwheel
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:39 pm

My grandfather could pick up a fist full of dirt and tell if it is was warm enough to plant crops. He didn't have a thermometer either. Then again, back in the day you couldn't walk up to wall, stick a piece of plastic in and get cash back either. Things have changed. Roma was retrofitted with a thermometer. I'd do it again tomorrow thank you very much. :wink:
Deputy Dave

bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:24 pm

Well I aint opposed to temp gauges by any stretch of the imagination..got a bunch myself. Just hate to see folks stressing out over em when they fluctuate a bit or even going so far as to trust em too much. About the time a person think things is right you shut the door and the stem poke itself into an old cold brisket...now that can be cornfusing especially for rookies. Missippiis dont lie less the counter is drunk or whutever. Think gauges are a useful tool when used in conjunction with other tools. Dont hurt to use the ears nose and eyes stuff neither. Just my itchy knee yen of course:)

bigwheel
BBQBrent
Pilgrim

Postby BBQBrent » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:03 pm

antaean7 wrote:I have tried soooooo many combos of the above. I usually leave the exaust wide open and try to control the fire with the damper of the fire box. i usually have a good size fire going. But, the only way I have gotten the temp to rise is put a good amount of charcole on the fire. I am using a Lyfe Tyme pit. I have even tried adding a box fan to feed the firebox to get it hotter, that helped, but I was still not happy. It will only stay just under 200 in the upright. Everyone keeps telling me I should not even be using the upright until I master the barrel. During the burn in is the only time I have had the upright above 200. I am going to change the thermos around and have a few inside the pit tomorrow to check again on the thermos.

How you liking the lyfe tyme double barrel cooker? I am about to buy one and just wanted to hear any feedback you may have for a potential buyer?

What where you cooking on before you got your lyfe tyme? I'm graduating from a New Braunsfuls Black Diamond offset.

And for your temps, have you thought about getting a Maverick ET-73 http://www.partshelf.com/maet73.html (or something similar) I just got one and have done two cooks with it and its fantastic. I don't know how I did it with just the plain old single probe one with no remote. Check it out.
Brent Parish
antaean7 USER_AVATAR
antaean7
Cowboy

Postby antaean7 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:00 pm

I have had my pit since the end of May. Before, I cooked on a gas grill, old smoky, and a smaller single barrel side fire box. This pit is a new ball game. I have and am enjoying it, but I would like to have a few options that the Tejas Smoker pits have. The only compaint I have is not a big one, is that the Thermos were not all that close to being correct. Which Lyfe Tyme is switching them out for me as we speek. I know some people think you should not be so anal about temps. I will be anal about my temps. The way I see it, that is the only way to repeat a cook. But that is the best part of all of us being different people. I guess in short, THEY ARE GREAT PITS!!!
BBQBrent
Pilgrim

Postby BBQBrent » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:24 pm

Thanks for the reply.

Which features in the Tejas Smokers do you wish it had?? I looked at the Tejas smokers and it seems to me like you get more for your money with the Lyfe Tyme.
Brent Parish
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:22 pm

Well from whut I can gather somebody is trying to build a big fire in the firebox and then control the temps with some kind of flapper gizmo. Now is this hot or warm? If so will tell the involved personage it aint a good plan. Control your temps by the size of the fire and leave the flapper wide open. I could give you some scienfitical equations on why the flapper plan aint a good idear but I aint got room to do all the math right now. That take long divisioin etc. Fact is have a pal who tried it like that. Turned his pit into a great creosote factory. Think the RR even try to buy the formula off of him to make cross ties. Thats the way the rumors went anyway. His smoke was always either blue or green. Not sure whut that signified. Woops..I think that the time he left the plastic meat lug in there. It was very purty smoke.

bigwheel
antaean7 USER_AVATAR
antaean7
Cowboy

Postby antaean7 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:54 pm

Bigwheel,
Jim (OSD) helped me with my issue of controling the temp. To start my Thermostats were off, but any how Jim got me going in a great direction.
Thanks for the reply
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:20 pm

Ok great. From whut I heard OSD is a purty nice fella especially when he asleep:) That must be a purty fancy pit to use thermostats :lol:

bigwheel
antaean7 USER_AVATAR
antaean7
Cowboy

Postby antaean7 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:18 am

Bigwheel,
OK,OK, you got me. I was wrong for calling them Thermostats, I should call them by the right name, Thermometers. BUT, as hot and humid as it gets here in the DEEP SOUTH Texas. I wish I had Thermostats in my pit area. Maybe a Portable A/C unit will work.
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:38 pm

Hey I know some folks who got pits with thermostats...I wasnt naggin about your speeling techniques:)

bigwheel

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”