Paint

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

WesTexas
Pilgrim

Paint

Postby WesTexas » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:11 am

Hey guys I'm looking at painting my trailer burnt orange. I know, I know start sending the remarks! I'm wantin to know what type of paint to use. Can I go somewhere like Sherwin Williams and get something? Can they mix exterior metal type paints like this or is it special order? I looked for rustoleum at the box stores but could only find a limited amount of colors in a quart and I would prefer to stay away from spray paint. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Re: Paint

Postby 3 star redneck » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:33 am

Great color choice! yes, s williams, hd, lowes should be able to match and mix the color in a exterior netal paint to shoot from a gun
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:10 pm

Chevy Orange engine block paint?
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
pony express USER_AVATAR
Pony Express
Outlaw

Postby Pony Express » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:12 pm

you can't find the orange color your looking for for I reason.

All the big wheel executives that make those discussions are

AGGIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

GIG EM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Charmglo gasser,
New Braunfels offset smoker
Custom trailer pit offset smoker

Git-er done
GIG EM
n2dabluebbq USER_AVATAR
n2dabluebbq
Bandolero

Postby n2dabluebbq » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:24 pm

Pony Express wrote:you can't find the orange color your looking for for I reason.

All the big wheel executives that make those discussions are

AGGIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

GIG EM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and thats the only way to get back at da horns!

HOOK EM
nuff said!
txlnghrn USER_AVATAR
TXLNGHRN
Cowboy

Postby TXLNGHRN » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:37 am

Home Depot and Lowe's has a deal with the NCAA to get the official colors of any team.
Not sure if they can mix burnt orange high temp for the firebox, but they have it for wall colors. I'd assume the can mix up an exterior enamel for your pit.

You can always take a jersey or something burnt orange in to SW and they'll match it.
toy4whatever
Pilgrim

Postby toy4whatever » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:19 pm

There is a better choice than engine paint. VHT makes paint for brake calipers that handles temps up to 900°F.
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=VHT+brake+paint&_sacat=0&_odkw=grill+grates&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

Also check out there site. They have exhaust paint as well.
http://www.vhtpaint.com/flameproof.html
wigelnyatt USER_AVATAR
wigelnyatt
Rustler

Postby wigelnyatt » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:42 pm

I was going to suggest engine paint too. Start with a nice Chevy Orange Hi temp engine paint!
austinknight USER_AVATAR
AustinKnight
Pilgrim

Postby AustinKnight » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:27 pm

WesTexas wrote:Hey guys I'm looking at painting my trailer burnt orange. I know, I know start sending the remarks! I'm wantin to know what type of paint to use. Can I go somewhere like Sherwin Williams and get something? Can they mix exterior metal type paints like this or is it special order? I looked for rustoleum at the box stores but could only find a limited amount of colors in a quart and I would prefer to stay away from spray paint. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I had to bump this I have been searching all over the net for high heat burnt orange paint for my UDS, did you ever find somewhere to buy it ???

HOOK EM!
WesTexas
Pilgrim

Postby WesTexas » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:38 pm

Hey I used black high heat paint for the pit. The trailer is what I wanted orange. I looked everywhere for burnt orange oil based exterior paint. Home Depot and Lowes couldn't do it. Home Depot told me to use an exterior latex on the trailer but i didnt think it would be durable enough. They dont carry the mixes for oil based. Sherwin Williams said "we might can get close" but it was $40-50/ gallon. I didn't really feel like paying to "maybe get close" and not have it be the right color. I ended finding tractor paint at TSC. I bought orange paint and put a dab of it on my Longhorns coffee cup and it matched pretty close. I figured that's as close as I'm going to get. I think it's almost impossible to find an oil based paint that's BURNT orange especially if it has to be mixed. I think most places are getting away from oil based. If anyone else knows where to get it then chime in but that's the best I can tell you. Good luck.
pony express USER_AVATAR
Pony Express
Outlaw

Postby Pony Express » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:20 pm

go to an automotive paint store.
Charmglo gasser,
New Braunfels offset smoker
Custom trailer pit offset smoker

Git-er done
GIG EM
austinknight USER_AVATAR
AustinKnight
Pilgrim

Postby AustinKnight » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:42 pm

Thx for the response ya I've been every where, the orange on my UDS lid is from the auto part store and its more of a red then a orange. I found a place that will powder coat it for $75 bucks but it will take 2 months and man it's spot on looks just like a longhorn football jersey burnt orange I'm trying to call a few more places to get a cheaper price and a faster time frame.
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:38 pm

I sale protective coatings for a living and I'll tell you the best paint job you can put on a pit is zinc, top coated with an industrial high heat paint. The zince will give you cathodic protection so it sacrifices itself for the carbon steel incase of rust... as for the high heat S/W's can do it as well as a few others, but not all offer color matching capability in the high heat variety. BUT I'm telling you now dont waste your money on a standard paint that isn't meant for heat... you'll be wasting your time and money.
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:36 am

For either oil based durable paint or high heat paint check with Sherwin Williams Industrial they can help you out. It may cost a little more but in time you won't regret it.
tarde venientibus ossa....

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”