In the market for a Backyard Smoker - Input appreciated

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

TXCajun
Wrangler

Re: In the market for a Backyard Smoker - Input appreciated

Postby TXCajun » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:14 am

Good input on the lower priced options. I had pondered a BGE at one point, but I guess I have this mental block regarding putting the fire directly under the meat for the purpose of smoking (vs. grilling). I have a vertical smoker now (COMALCO Tall-Que bought at HEB) and I have done some good stuff on it, but it's just too hard to keep the temp stabilized. Based on what I understand about the BGE, the temp stays where you put it.

Might have to take another look at the BGE, but when I was looking at them in Austin, I was stunned by the price...

The quest continues...

Thanks folks - TXCajun
scott p USER_AVATAR
Scott P
Cowboy

Re: I'm also in the market for a Backyard Smoker

Postby Scott P » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:42 am

TXCajun wrote:I look around at these rigs and they are obviously well made, but the prices are steep. I'm not saying that they aren't worth the money, but at the same time, it seems (just my perception here) that once a pit by a certain manufacturer is used by someone who wins at competitions, all of a sudden that is the new hotness and prices go through the roof. Then again, I am not a welder, I don't know the going prices of steel, so what do I know?

I'm an average guy smoking for his family and maybe some friends now and then. I don't plan on entering competitions or catering, so I can't justify spending $2,000 on a pit. At those prices, the net cost of the food that you are eating is mind boggling.

What would really be helpful is solid information, reviews, etc. on pits based on price ranges. For the average joe cooking for family, I would think that the price point would be under $1,000. Surely someone in Texas (excluding Lang due to being in Ga) has to build a decent quality horizontal, offset-firebox, backyard smoker in the 20"x36" to 24"x40"size range that you don't have to get a bank loan for.

Guys?

I would grab a WSM and call it done. The 22.5" model is plenty big for a family and larger gatherings. My 18.5" can do two briskets, four or more butts and plenty of ribs.
Buddha Belly BBQ Team

18" WSM
22" WSM
26" Kettle
Genesis II S-310
Large BGE
TXCajun
Wrangler

Re: In the market for a Backyard Smoker - Input appreciated

Postby TXCajun » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:04 pm

Been poking around a bit and I have come to the conclusion that while I am probably going to spend more than I want on a smoker, I want quality and that means at least 1/4" steel construction, properly sealing doors, and construction by people who know pits.

Thus, I have narrowed it down to the following:
#1 Gator Pits........... Party Gator with a square firebox mod
#2 LoneStarGrillsz.....24"x40"

GatorPit is #1 because it seems to have a taller stack ( I like the doghouse stack cover) which is important for getting the smoke up and away from the socializing area, good quality wheels, and more options should you want them. If I add the options I want (square firebox, doghouse stack cover & tuning plates), then the prices is going to be right about where the Lonestar 24"x40" is, so price is mox-nix. The ability to grill in the firebox is neat, but isn't a big factor in the decision. Plus, if I really want to grill on a smoker, I'll have a firebox made for the main chamber and grill in there.

Just really seems to be a very close draw. Anyone have personal experiences that would help push me one way or another?

Cheers!

Update - Been looking at Klose Pits. Liking what I am seeing. Anyone have a Klose pit?

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”