insulated fire box -- build help / suggestions

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

cjate USER_AVATAR
CJATE
Cowboy

insulated fire box -- build help / suggestions

Postby CJATE » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:25 pm

Going to build an insulated box, only one I have ever really looked at (unfinished) was built out of 1/4plate inside and out, was way overkill.

What size sheet do you folks use? I'm think 3/8th on the inside and 1/8th on the outside, might even use 1/8"dimond plate on the outside, weight is an issue for me. I do tend to burn a lot of mesquite (read hot fire)

I don't expect it to be cool to the touch on the outside, but not 3rd degree burn hot, and need it to last forever.

also open to insulation talk, I just assume do it once and do 1800* assume a ceramic blanket but have not gotten that far yet.

point me in the right directions?
if your look'n... you aint cook'n

http://www.meatinthemiddle.com
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Re: insulated fire box -- build help / suggestions

Postby BluDawg » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:48 pm

McMaster Carr.com has the insulation , If I were to build one I would go with 1/4" sides and top and 3/8 bottom and aluminum diamond plate on the O/S to saver weight. If your using 1800 deg insulation you should be able to use it for an bar area ;)
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
BAR "G" BBQ
Outlaw

Postby BAR "G" BBQ » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:07 pm

Just my 2 cents worth but I had an insulated box once upon a time 3/8 inside and 1/4 outside; was primarly using mesquite and warped the inside side and top plates. Have since built my fireboxes out of 1/2". I just couldn't see any advantage to an insulated box in Texas unless the tank was insulated other than keeping the paint in better shape.
BAR "G"
brentski USER_AVATAR
brentski
Cowboy

Postby brentski » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:41 pm

This is what I used and it is easy to install and rated @ 2300 degrees. I did 1" sides and 2" top, door, and bottom of firebox into main pit opening. For the 1" sides I just peeled off what was necessary from the 2" blanket. Freight was about $40 dollars to the DFW area. If I would have decided to insulate before hand I would not have used 1/2" plate for the exterior, but it all seemed to work out in the end.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kaowool-Ceramic-Fib ... 1e5d2836c3"

cjate USER_AVATAR
CJATE
Cowboy

Postby CJATE » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:49 am

is that 1/4" plate on the inside?

truth to tell, this will not be a fire box, but an open top grill used in a commercial kitchen, for all practical purposes if will be built the same as a smoker box with a place to put steaks.

I want it insulated to avoid 3rd degree burns to wait staff rushing by.

thank you all,
if your look'n... you aint cook'n

http://www.meatinthemiddle.com
3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Postby 3 star redneck » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:06 pm

I haven't really haven't found a need for an insulated firebox in Texas?
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns
brentski USER_AVATAR
brentski
Cowboy

Postby brentski » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:24 pm

Yes it is 1/4" plate inside and it does get hot to touch on the outside after running about 2 hours, but perfect to warm tortillas on top. I insulated it really to keep kids from getting burned since typically have friends or family with kids running around. As a plus it really cuts down on the amount of wood needed to maintain the temperature, so far I average one split piece of wood while cooking once the pit is up to temp.
bwsdj USER_AVATAR
bwsdj
Cowboy

Postby bwsdj » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:03 pm

brentski wrote:This is what I used and it is easy to install and rated @ 2300 degrees. I did 1" sides and 2" top, door, and bottom of firebox into main pit opening. For the 1" sides I just peeled off what was necessary from the 2" blanket. Freight was about $40 dollars to the DFW area. If I would have decided to insulate before hand I would not have used 1/2" plate for the exterior, but it all seemed to work out in the end.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kaowool-Ceramic-Fib ... 1e5d2836c3" target="_blank"

Looks Great, the next firebox I do will be insulated, that is deff the way to go.
BBQ and USF Bulls Football/Tailgating
https://www.facebook.com/fullbullbbq

Caleb
Pilgrim

Postby Caleb » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:39 am

Hey guys.... I've just been researching and acquiring materials, before building my haul behind smoker.... after reading these post I had an idea that, if it worked would save a bunch of money... what about just lining the fire box with the fire bricks? We use them, I'm up in Virginia, to insulate the parts of a wood stove where you don't want the heat coming out.... anyway, my thought was it would save on material, as they are cheap, steel is expensive, and you wouldn't have to build an outer liner box. Plus your fire box wouldn't need to be as thick of steel, as the heat wouldn't get to it as much to warp it. Am I stupid, or would this work?
pinoypitmaster USER_AVATAR
PinoyPitmaster
Cowboy

Postby PinoyPitmaster » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:46 am

Caleb wrote:Hey guys.... I've just been researching and acquiring materials, before building my haul behind smoker.... after reading these post I had an idea that, if it worked would save a bunch of money... what about just lining the fire box with the fire bricks? We use them, I'm up in Virginia, to insulate the parts of a wood stove where you don't want the heat coming out.... anyway, my thought was it would save on material, as they are cheap, steel is expensive, and you wouldn't have to build an outer liner box. Plus your fire box wouldn't need to be as thick of steel, as the heat wouldn't get to it as much to warp it. Am I stupid, or would this work?

Nah, I thought about that on a a recent build I had but it was too heavy for me to meet a goal I was trying to achieve. I built a firebox inside out of 1/8 steel and reinforced the the insulated side with 1" angles and 14 gauge outerskin so it wouldnt warp. I also suspended the charcoal/wood basket in hopes to lengthen the life of firebox. In any case, insulated is the way to go!
Caleb
Pilgrim

Postby Caleb » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:15 pm

Ok, however, in my research I have found there are 2 types of fire bricks. Regular, masonry type, very heavy, absorbs heat as a heat sink and holds it, slowly releasing the heat.... BUT there is also insulating, or soft fire brick. They are half the weight, or less. They will NOT absorb any heat, just keep it in. They are commonly used in brick kiln ovens, or any kind of oven. I may give it a shot.... sounds cheaper and less time consuming then metal, especially than using 1/2" and 1/4" plate.

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”