My smoker isn't generating smoke

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

brianlbaker
Pilgrim

My smoker isn't generating smoke

Postby brianlbaker » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:14 pm

I bought a used Smokey Hollow vertical smoker, 38", in good condition. I fired it up for the first time today and am doing a pork butt. At first it was generating enough smoke to burn my eyes as I put the meat in, but now, nothing. It is cooking at about 225, and I have added fresh, moist chips, but still no smoke. In fact, after about 2.5 hours, about oa third of the original chips were still looking good. Others were ash though.

What gives? Is it a flu draw issue?

Thanks!
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Re: My smoker isn't generating smoke

Postby egghead » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:35 pm

Is it that you can't see the smoke or can't smell the smoke.

With BGEs it's preferrable to not see smoke or see light smoke to ensure there is no acrid smelling smoke from the lump but you can still smell the smoke.

If you can smell the smoke from the stack or exhaust (I have no idea what a Smokey Hollow Vertical smoker looks like), you are still good.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
brianlbaker
Pilgrim

Postby brianlbaker » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:58 pm

Egghead,

Thank you for your response. I saw light smoke at the beginning and smell smoke still, so I feel better now. I am concerned that the chips are going so slowly, but I can certainly smell smoke.

For what it's worth, my smoker is essentially the same as this model, just a few years older. http://tinyurl.com/289794r" target="_blank

Thank you,

Brian
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:12 pm

Sounds like you are the right track

Good luck with it
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
bigbob73 USER_AVATAR
bigbob73
Rustler

Postby bigbob73 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:17 pm

I know on my electric it smokes more at first, because the heating element is on longer. Once it comes up to temp, it doesn't smoke near as much.
Toontroller
Bandolero

Postby Toontroller » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:31 pm

brianlbaker sounds like your pit is running perfect. A clean burning fire produces little visible smoke but still imparts a good clean smoke flavor in the meat.

Edit; just clicked on the link to your pit :oops: see that it's not wood fired but the principle remains the same.

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”